Can Music be a trigger ?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi everyone;
I will be getting my results from my MRI on the 21'st of this month. The EEG came out normal. I am just wondering if music could have triggered that Episode that i had last year. Reason why i am asking is because i haven't had one since and i changed massage therapists. Maybe it was the music that was playing that did it??? I still don't know for sure. Are back relaxers a trigger? Reason why i ask is because i took several back relaxers lately and am having similar effects as when i am having alcohol. If anyone knows, please feel free to share. Thanks!

For some folks music can be a trigger. Some muscle relaxants can be seizure triggers too, but it would be uvery nusual for them to trigger a seizure unless you were withdrawing from one, or had a strong allergic reaction.

Thanks Nakamova. I am pretty sure i am not allergic to them. But did have some very unusual thoughts once again just before falling to sleep. I cannot really explain them, just kinda thoughts where there is repetiveness involved. Weird. And again where i felt like i was in NOTHINGNESS while trying to fall asleep. I had to jerk myself out of it, so i could feel my body again. As for the music, well my current massage therapist does not play any music , and so far i am fine. No weird feelings of uncomfortableness or weird feelings of being hypnotised. So, i am thinking that maybe it was the music playing in the background at my old massage therapist place. There are still a lot of UNKNOWN things about my last massage therapist, that i am still wondering about and will probably never know the truth about whether or not something did or didn't happen (seizure way). I asked her about it and she was pretty vague and said she didn't know because she was busy massaging me and concentrating on what she was doing. Anyways, hopefully i will find out something on the 21'st. Probably, everything is normal.

Music can be a trigger for sure, not for everyone but for some.
It is one of my main ones, and unfortunately there is a few of my favourite songs I can't listen to anymore. Familiarity is also one of my triggers, so maybe it's a combo of having to listened to those songs just one too many times, and it hits me.
Best of luck with all your results, but if you do find out it's seizures or epilepsy you're a step ahead having come to CWE :)

Hi Confused One,

A possible connection between music and seizures came up in my very first thread here at CWE. It's a pretty long thread, but starting at post # 8, music comes up and is discussed for the rest of the thread. The dear, late Speber had a special interest in music and provided lots of great links. But Nakamova and Epileric (whom I haven't seen around lately) also had some great insight.

Here's a link to that thread:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f20/hi-all-input-much-appreciated-10018/

I hope you are able to figure out what's happening.

It is one of my main ones, and unfortunately there is a few of my favourite songs I can't listen to anymore. Familiarity is also one of my triggers, so maybe it's a combo of having to listened to those songs just one too many times, and it hits me.

Oh, no! That's awful! I would hate to have to quit listening to my favorite songs. :( I have figured out that listening to music and then going to bed don't go together for me. Well, not anything upbeat. :/

yeah it's a real thorn in my side; songs that i've loved for years but no more or there's that simple partial :(
one of the main ones is long december by counting crows. damn!

Thanks for your responses. Hopefully the MRI will be more accurate than the EEG. Does the MRI show anything about sounds--if the brainwaves are abnormal that way ?? Just wondering if anyone knows?? Or maybe there is a test to find out if music is the culprit??

The MRI is usually just to look for structural or vascular things (like a blood vessel abnormality) that might cause neurological issues. It doesn't measure brainwaves. For many (most?) of us with the epilepsy, the MRI comes up negative.

K, thanks Nakamova. Well, then i am going to have to see if there is a test for music induced epilepsy then. Repetiveness has something to do with it too. Maybe its certain words or beats or sounds.

I believe it is called musicogenic epilepsy. Try to Google and see what you think.

Rarely, sounds can be a simple partial trigger for me.... Some may remember when I stopped in my tracks at the store when a kid was whirling one of those long flexible wands in the air... the sound was to much for my brain.

Back
Top Bottom