Can seizures cause apathy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I know that's a weird question. Maybe I am using the wrong word. I just don't feel depressed and yet I have stoped taking care of myself and very basic things with no explanation. I would not be concerned if it was for a few days but it is going on 4 months for some things.

Example: I lost half my income for failing to send in papers. I have not gone to mailbox, or left the house in a month. I have stopped refilling medications and going to doctors.

I find i can't force myself to do ANYTHINGanymore evdn when it puts me at risk not to do so.

I don't know when I have partial seizures so don't know if I'm having them but Ive lost big chunks of time and am dizzy, nauseas and disoriented a lot so may be having them.

Oddly i have not had a tonic clonic or debilitating headache since letting my meds run out.

I live alone and have lost contact with tbe few people left in my life. I would feel too ashamed to tell tbem al this anyway.

I don't feel sick or depressed but my behavoirs say something is very wrong. I used to shower and wash my hair every day and now i stopped that too and can't convince myself to do it or do Anything. Has anyone ever goten like thus?

How did you break out?

I didn't even get scared about this unril today. All ive wkrriex abkut is that the house is eithdr too hot or foo cold or that im eating too much or not eating T all.

I dont know if this started with seizures or if I'm just l lo sing my mind and this is the first dag i even seemed to notice how bad i l let things get.

That just sounds like depression and you need to tell your doctor about it.

It does sound similar to depression, but I believe a certain amount of depression can be caused by medication regardless of how long one has been on it for. Definitely speak with your neurologist, as a simple medication adjustment or addition may change things around for you completely. Good luck!

I have experienced something like what you describe and I like what masterjen says. She says it sounds SIMILAR to depression .... etc. Please talk to your neurologist. It is a terrible way to live. For me it went on for about a year while I was taking tegrital. I know it is not politically correct to say so, but I think the reason I feel better is because I have been very, very angry, especially about putting up with medication side effects. It helped a lot to change medication and neurologist -- but I am just so angry -- and that helps most of all.

I can't get myself to call or see a doctor right now. I will tell them if that ever changes. Thank you.

Bidwell I am glad that you are feeling better now, even if that means feeling anger. I feel nothing but a void and it scares me. Ty for understanding.

A lot of people with E also experience mood disorders/personality changes. Anxiety, depression, and dysphoria-loss of any joy. Some of it depends on where the seizure(s) originate in the brain/ or the type of E you have. I have temporal lobe E and have suffered mood swings and dysphoria off and on for years. You DO need to speak to a dr about it.
Check out this website:
http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/impac...and-behavior-101/mood-and-personality-changes

Even if it not depression, its not at all unexpected for you to feel apathetic with the stress of having to deal with E, especially if you're in that tumultuous stage of getting your seizures under control.

:hugs:

What about owning a dog?

YES! I recommend a super fluffy dog. Or bunnies, or both

I am being treated with Neudexta for Pseudo Bulbar Affect. I complained about depression but was diagnosed with PBA. I am on VimPat. The combination is good for me. I understand the "apathy" feeling. It is gone now for me with my current cocktail of VimPat (anti-seizure) and neudexta. Anyway I was acting weird. "ulbar affect (PBA), emotional lability, labile affect, or emotional incontinence refers to a neurologic disorder characterized by involuntary crying or uncontrollable episodes of crying and/or laughing, or other emotional displays.[1] PBA occurs secondary to neurologic disease or brain injury. Patients may find themselves crying uncontrollably at something that is only moderately sad, being unable to stop themselves for several minutes. Episodes may also be mood-incongruent: a patient might laugh uncontrollably when angry or frustrated, for example."

OK so what I have is - mood-incongruent: a patient might laugh uncontrollably when angry or frustrated was what I was doing.

I would laugh when being scolded by my wife (that went over well) or cry uncontrollably when there was nothing really to be upset about.

This apparently is from my head injury. But the good news is I have been seizure free for 5 months !!!! And not "depressed" or "keppraging" like before.

So keep at it with your doctors and you will find your solution I hope.

Back
Top Bottom