Can Vimpat cause numbness?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momof3boys

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Ive been experiencing alot more numbness episodes the past few days. I dont know if its due to being on Vimpat, or what? Their site doesnt say anything about it causing numbness.... but I started it Wednesday, so Ive been on it for a few days now. Im taking 50mgs in the morning, and 50mgs at night for 7 days, then I increase it to 100mgs in the morning, and 100mgs at night.

Early this morning, I woke up to my right foot being completely numb, and my hand starting to go numb, within seconds, my right hand and arm stiffened and started to jerk.

It didnt last long at all. I hate the feeling, and last time that happened, which was March 12, the day after I got home from my veeg, I tried to fight it off, which is not a great feeling at all. this time, I just didnt fight it, and let it go.

My mom told me to make sure Im writing all this stuff down in my seizure diary so we know what to present the dr with when we see him next.

I just didnt know if numbness was a cause of the vimpat? Ive been noticing I can be doing anything, walking, sitting, etc and my hand or foot will go completely numb. Just bugs the crap out of me!

Oh wait... I googled "can vimpat cause numbness feelings?" and I found this site... http://www.emedicinehealth.com/drug-lacosamide/article_em.htm

Maybe I should bring this up to him? Do you think its a serious side effect or something that might go away?

I called Wal-greens, where my dr called in the vimpat for me, and asked about the numbness being a side effect and the pharmacist there said she didnt see that listed on being a side effect, but since my dr ordered me a 6 month supply, to have me check with him first, before picking up the medication.

The last thing I want to do is pay for something I cant possibly use!

Last edited:
Maybe I should bring this up to him? Do you think its a serious side effect or something that might go away?

If you're not sure if you should bring something up then always bring it up.

Best to bring up something & find out you didn't need to rather than the other way around.

Yeah, Im going to call on monday and check with his nurse. I can never seem to get ahold of him, so any questions I have, I call up the nurse and she calls me back. To be honest, Im more comfortable talking to her than him! LOL

I have no doubt a lot of neurologists nurses/receptionists make the clients feel more comfortable than the neuros do.

Yeah, when I first started going to this dr back in November, I got to meet him, along with his nurse. Since meeting her, she just gave me her card and said anytime I have a question, or need to get ahold of them, to just give her a call. :) Since then, she's the one Ive been going to. We did get ahold of the dr himself a couple of weeks ago, but we had to go through so many people just so they could page him and contact us.

Im going to have to call Monday for sure now... I noticed three bruises on my right arm, along with the numbness-tingling feeling Ive been having... on the website I found this:

Vimpat side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to Vimpat: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Report any new or worsening symptoms to your doctor, such as: mood or behavior changes, depression, anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, or if you feel impulsive, irritable, agitated, hostile, aggressive, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself.

Stop using Vimpat and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:

•double vision;

•feeling like you might pass out;

•fast or pounding heartbeats, fluttering in your chest;

•feeling short of breath;

•fever, skin rash, swollen glands, flu symptoms;

bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness;

•nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); or

•lower back pain, cloudy or bloody urine, swelling, rapid weight gain, urinating less than usual.

Can you go to a clinic or ER where they might have a professional who is qualified to tell you what to do before the weekend is over?

If it is more than your body could handle you might not be able to wait until Mon.

The only thing Im concerned about is the numbness and tingling feeling mostly. My mom came over to pick up two of the kids, they wanted to spend the night with their cousin tonight, and while she was here, she noticed two bruises on my right arm.

She said she read about bruises as a side effect of Vimpat. So she wanted me to look it up again just to make sure. when I did, I saw it was listed on there. Im not in any extream pain. If I went to the ER, I would have to pay a $50 copay, and then 20% of the ER bill. I dont think another day will hurt me. If anything, I can probably call their office tomorrow, and see if anyone answers. On the 12th of march, which was a saturday, we called due to the 6 seizures I had within half an hour and the dr then called us back. Maybe I could still reach them tomorrow.

On the 12th of march, which was a saturday, we called due to the 6 seizures I had within half an hour and the dr then called us back. Maybe I could still reach them tomorrow.

Now that's good service (you should leave a good tip). I would think it best to call again tomorrow then, especially if you read to stop using Vimpat and call your doctor at once if having these side-effects.

Yes, I was very happy to see my dr respond the way he did when those seizures occured that day! :)

I will give their office a call tomorrow and see if I can talk to someone about the symptoms Ive been having.

Let us know what happens. I'm sorry it seems like the Vimpat isn't working out.

Hi momofthree:
I was wondering... is the numbness under control? I've been taking Vimpat for about 6 or 7 months now and I'm experiencing similar symptoms. I also take Keppra.
Thanks!

i dont think she takes it anymore. but i also took vimpat about 6months ago and it was terrible for me,but we all react differently

Thanks AC. Are you off it? I has helped me so far but now... this... Let's see what my neurologist has to say...

Hi momofthree:
I was wondering... is the numbness under control? I've been taking Vimpat for about 6 or 7 months now and I'm experiencing similar symptoms. I also take Keppra.
Thanks!

I was on the vimpat in march 2011 for a few weeks and had to be taken off of it due to it causing me to feel really bad. I just wasnt myself, and got into a depression and couldnt even take care of my kids. We tried cutting the amount in half, and it still didnt make things better, so my dr took me off of it. The numbness and bruising went away after taking it though. So I really think alot of what I was experiencing while on it was from the Vimpat. I am now taking 3000mgs of Keppra XR and doing good! :)

Glad to find this post. I started Vimpat about a month ago at 50mg twice daily, increasing weekly to 200mg. Wednesday, which was my second week at 200mg, I took my morning dose, and noticed numbness in my lips and nose. Tolerated it, and didn't like it. Took my evening dose, and 30 minutes later, everything from my nose to my chest was numb. I couldn't swallow, couldn't breathe, chest was tight. My dad brought me to the ER, and by the time I got looked at, breathing was a little easier, but everything else still sucked. He gave me Benadryl, monitored me for an hour and sent me home. momof3boys, I was also given the card of my Doctor's nurse, and called her, she said it wasn't an allergic reaction, but that my body couldn't tolerate that amount. She's now called the pharmacy to request 100mg and 50mg pills to bring me back to 150mgs twice daily, but I'm frustrated, because now I have an almost full bottle of very expensive Vimpats that I can't take! (I asked her if I can cut them, but she said it would be too hard, as they're not scored...)

Having had that reaction though, I'm even scared to try the 150mg! Keppra hasn't worked for me either... I have an even larger bottle full of those too :(

Frustrated.

I don't take either of those just got off keppra less than a month ago and vimpat was torture for me glad I'm off of those but still havin problems numbness that's a new thing to me

Back
Top Bottom