cell phones

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Emee

Stalwart
Reaction score
Do cell phones trigger seizures for you? Just about every time I'm on the phone either talking or texting I have a partial seizure. Thanks.

I've never had a problem with my phone and having a seizure.

I did however have a seizure either after or while I was texting with a friend last week. I know I sent her a few texts but when I got on later in the day I saw we'd had a whole conversation.

All of the words were spelled right and the conversation made sense. I usually loose some memory of things that happened before a seizure so I don't know if I just forgot that I sent them or if I was actually having a seizure while I was doing it.

I've never had a problem having a seizure because of the cell phone.

I've had plenty of sz's while talking on the land line though.

I did have a seizure a few months ago in the middle of the night that I didn't know I had. When I woke up I saw I had a text message from someone saying "Who is this?"

I looked and saw I had sent someone who was in my address book about three text messages. None of them were actualy words just letters and spaces. But somehow I'd managed to go to the address book, pick a person, write the message (if you want to call it that) and send it three times.

The person who I sent them too was someone that I don't think I've ever talked to or texted on my phone I just had his number.

I've looked into that before getting myself a cell phone & I haven't been able to find anything that has shown any connection between seizures & cell phones.

According to the World Health Organization:
Some individuals report "hypersensitivity" to electric or magnetic fields. They ask whether aches and pains, headaches, depression, lethargy, sleeping disorders, and even convulsions and epileptic seizures could be associated with electromagnetic field exposure.

There is little scientific evidence to support the idea of electromagnetic hypersensitivity. Recent Scandinavian studies found that individuals do not show consistent reactions under properly controlled conditions of electromagnetic field exposure. Nor is there any accepted biological mechanism to explain hypersensitivity. Research on this subject is difficult because many other subjective responses may be involved, apart from direct effects of fields themselves. More studies are continuing on the subject.
http://www.who.int/peh-emf/about/WhatisEMF/en/index1.html

Last edited:
Do cell phones trigger seizures for you? Just about every time I'm on the phone either talking or texting I have a partial seizure. Thanks.

About the only thing I can think of is a sensitivity to electronic audio of certain Hz rate, a certain bit-rate, or even a certain bit-rate of transmission?

If it was just txting, it might be the display of lots of white on a super-bright AMOLED screen, combined with the process of focussing on writing the txt.

Audio sensitivity could be possible- and there are a few people that claim to be very sensitive to various inaudible electronic signals- but a lot of research has been done on this with phones and come up apparently negative.

The only thing I can think of is the phenomena of triggers developing from random events, getting 'locked' in if you will. I.e. we experience a seizure doing something once or twice- coincidentally, and then the brain gets programmed into seizing again in the future in the same circumstances. Sounds crazy, but that's happened to me for various things.

More a psychological trigger than the actual physical event. And once you notice it yourself, and begin to wonder, it's then very easy to worry yourself into seizing when you do it again.

A bit tenuous though, I admit..

Last edited:
Another reason I suspect could be pinched spinal nerves from being hunched over and texting for long spans of time.

My cell phone & tablet has never been a trigger for me.

I think psychologically it could somehow trigger a seizure since, in my case, if I'm without them on a working day I stress out

No cellphone/seizure connection for me. Hmmmm. Interesting idea and I can certainly see the thought behind a possible connection.

It might have to do with a kind of "drifting of attention" that can happen while you're on the phone. There have been a few times I've had a seizure while on the phone -- but not a cellphone, just an old-fashioned one.

It might have to do with a kind of "drifting of attention" that can happen while you're on the phone. There have been a few times I've had a seizure while on the phone -- but not a cellphone, just an old-fashioned one.

I know I've had at lest one seizure while talking on the regular phone too. Scared my friend to death because she wasn't here and able to do anything. Luckily my husband was home and she stayed on the regular phone with me and called his cell phone to let him know what was going on.

Back
Top Bottom