Changes in life that have helped my seizures decrease

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

fezman101

New
Reaction score
I can say I have had 2000-3000 complex partial seizures from 2006 to 2015. This is a a brief history of how many seizures I had in 2010. I'm posting 2010 because I don't have my other diaries on me. There were more seizures that year because I didn't recorded all of them e.g the months that are not listed.

Year 2010

Feb -15 complex partials, 1 Tonic Clonic
March -24 complex partials, 4 Simple Partials
April -17 complex partials, 8 Simple Partials
May -19 complex partials, 3 Simple Partials
June -08 complex partials
July -04 complex partials
Aug -01 Tonic Clonic

Introducing lamotrigine greatly decreased my Complex Partials. Last year I averaged about 4 complex partials a month but now having different dosage levels, eight hours of sleep a night and good eating habits e.g healthy meat, vegetables, water.... along with one junk meal a week I have been able to go seizure free for a month.

When I was having a ton of seizures I was taking meds late, skipping meds, eating what ever I wanted and very poor sleeping habits.

I was on 3 epilim tablets, each tablet is 500mg and 2 Lamotrigine tablets, each table is 50mg. Morning and night.

Now I take 2 epilim tablets along with 2 lamotrigine tablets in the morning and 3 epilim tablets in at night along with 1 epilim tablet.

I sure this run will continue as long as I stick to it. All the best to everyone!

Please add what has helped you to reduce your seizures or become seizure free. Thanks

Last edited:
Be careful of the lamotrigine. (all meds actually) I take lamictal, at first it was great, major decrease in my sez. after a few years I felt like crap. Sez control was still okay but I realized one day I felt better mentally and physically when I was having several hundred complex partials a day. I talked to my docs. they just kept giving me more meds, I became hyperphotosensitive, doc told me I should've been a vampire. I got to the point I thought about ditching meds all together, I decided to get proactive, I did some research of my own on the meds I was on. I found out I was basically a walking side effect. (sensitive to meds) I'd been hearing about medical marijuana, I remembered pot from high school. I don't need help eating and sleeping, I was already trying to 'put one foot in front of the other' I heard about pot low in thc. I looked into it and found cbd oil/hemp oil. I was skeptical but desperate for an alternative. I started it in Feb. I'm suppose to be taking 200 mg. Lamictal 3x a day and 1750 generic keppra 2x a day. I now take 200 mg lamictal 2x a day and 500 mg generic keppra 2x a day. I was having a couple sez a week sometimes a day. I haven't had any in the last few weeks, my sensitivity to lights have decreased, I actually had lunch in town in doors w/my hubby a few weeks ago, been years since I've been able to do that. Overall I feel like I've got my life back.

Everyone's experience with meds is different, and often side effects are dose-related. I've been lucky enough to have no major problems with Lamotrigine. I take it for tonic-clonics and have been seizure-free for 6 or 7 years. I'm on a relatively low dose though -- 225mg/day -- which may make it easier on my system.

I've been taking Lamotrigine 300mgs/day for a couple of years and the only problems I've had with it is some slight double vision to full double vision from time to time with a headache, although it's a side effect of both my meds so it probably wouldn't be as bad as it is if I were just taking it by itself.

Hey Fez,

For me it was getting on my new med called Gabapentin, it doesn't stop my seizures, but it controls them to the point where i normally only have them in the mornings. In the safety of my home. Before this drug i was having seizures at all times of the day and normally during the worst times of the day. So far out of 29 seizures since i've started on Gabapentine, 3 were outside the morning period. I have more info on this in the about me section.

To me that some pretty good statistics. Best part of it is that it feels like a placibo pill, since i don't have much side effects. Only side effect i've noticed was ones in a blue moon, i would get cramps in my calve. No biggy i can deal with that.

Wish others could try it to see if it works the same for them, so i am here to spread the word.

Cheers,

:piano: :pop:

Back
Top Bottom