Changing Medication

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Tia Maria

New
Reaction score
Hey, I'm new though I did introduce myself in the lobby.

Daft question. When can I change my meds/ask to get them changed?

When my neurologist saw me he asked about other medication I was on and if I had any contraceptive devices or medication. I told him yes, the nexplanon implant. He made a note and then prescribed me Carbamazepine. I was googling round and found that this actually makes the implant and any contraceptive pill much less reliable!! The last thing I need right now is a baby.

I'm in an uncomfortable situation as I've been on the tegretol for just over a week, and it's got to increase over the next few weeks. I kinda want to change to an AED that doesn't affect my contraception. Having a new diagnosis, I'm trying to ensure that my diagnosis DOESN'T make me have to change my lifestyle too much. I want something that works for me before I drown it was seems like an insufferable amount of change! Any advice? Can I see my GP over this or do I need to see my neuro nurse (mad waiting list) or even worse neurologist?

Tia M

I have heard others here say it helps to get an OB/GYN involved along with your neurologist when it comes to contraception and AEDs. There might be some contraceptive devices or pills that are compatible with tegretol. There are always condoms, and sorry to say it, but in my opinion seizure control outweighs the importance of fun between the sheets. Hold off on the bedroom fun or use condoms until you see the nurse/neurologist (and OB/GYN if you you choose) until you get the contraception and AED issue straightened out.

Tia Maria

You can ask for a change anytime you want, if you cannot contact your neurologist talk to your doctor.

If your GP and OB/GYN aren't familiar with anti-seizure drugs, or don't communicate with your neuro, you may need to see the neuro to change your prescription to something less likely to mess with your birth control.

For bc, I can recommend the IUD -- no conflicts with any AEDs whatsoever.

My neuro told me that it takes a few weeks to see how you are going to react to the side effect of some meds. You may have them at first but after those few weeks they are gone. This has happened with med on several different meds. If the side effects are so severe at first that you can't even handle them then ask your neuro to be taken off of it right away.

I was on one med that I absolutely stopped eating anything. All I did was lay in bed and sleep. My mom would bring me in food and force me to eat it because I didn't want it. I lost a good bit of weight. I think it was about 3 weeks after I started taking the med that we called my neuro and told him what was going on. He took me off of it right away and changed it to another.

I was taking Depo-provera along with my epilepsy meds and never had any problems with it - but no one is the same when it comes to how some meds will interact with others. My neuro and gyno both agreed that the meds that epilepsy meds I was taking and the Depo-provera would be ok with each other and my gyno knew a lot about how meds would work along with others.

Also, if you plan to become pregnant in the future, check into the birth defect rate of Tegretol as compared to newer meds.

Back
Top Bottom