Changing of patterns

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Chris515

Veteran
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've noticed through the years that my seizure types and frequencies have changed over the years, quite drastically, seemingly not related to life events.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the same?

For example, for the longest time I only had sp's. Then on the drop of a hat I started having only cp's. Then back to sp's and infrequent tc's. Then I had two years with no activity whatsoever. After that, the cp's and tc's showed back up. Then after a few years, I was back to sp's and tc's. Now that lasted for about 4 years. Now it seems I'm back to cp's and a few tc's.

It seems the tc's have been relatively regular, but the cp's and sp's are taking shifts. lol.

Does anyone else experience this?

I'm concerned at the rise of my cp's, out of nowhere. I just got back from vacation, and I had one at work. That sucks. I ended up on the floor because I thought it was going to generalize. I went home and had another. The next day I had a cp and sp's.

Yesterday it was all sp's. But like 20 of them, super annoying.

I think I need to change my meds, I've been on lamotrigine for 13 years. I've got an EEG and MRI scheduled, and my neuro doesn't want to do anything until he sees the results. Fair enough. But it's going to be a long wait.

You can develop a resistance to a particular med over time and also your body chemistry changes over time.

I've never taken that particular medication. Does it have any side effect that might manifest over time like blocking nutrient absorption? Do you get check ups on things like your thyroid?

Epilepsy is not just "all in your head", so to speak. How are things like your sleep and stress levels doing?

As a 2-year old my son's epilepsy started with myoclonic seizures. There might have been absences we didn't notice when he was an baby. At age 3 on he developed atonics and later on at 4 tonic stiff cramps. At 5 we saw many complex partials. Since 8 he has big tonic-clonics. These changing patterns and medicine resistance are very typical for Lennox Gastaut in children, as well is a successful reaction on the ketogenic diet for many children with LGS.

I've noticed through the years that my seizure types and frequencies have changed over the years, quite drastically, seemingly not related to life events.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the same?

Oh yeah, I've posted about this many, many times. My wife's seizure activity has changed patterns (both frequency and type) many times - usually in relation to changes in her therapy (or diet, or sleep pattern), but also in major relation to childbearing (hormonal changes I suppose).

The brain has plasticity - it's not in a fixed state for life. This offers a continual hope/opportunity for healing/improvement IMO (but also the opposite). It can adapt (sometimes in ways we don't expect).

Chris,

I have mostly CP,SP, tonic clonics and I have had seizures almost all my life and they
change all the time. I have been taking Tegretol 40 years. I have been on more drugs for
my type of seizures yet I'm allergic and med resistant to more drugs also.

Hi
I've had a range. Developed partials first, then Grand mals at about 12. Managed to stay seizure free after becoming pregnant and medication free to the disgust of my neurologist in Liverpool.
I developed drop seizures and then back to the grand mals, but very infrequently...however, I probably should have taken some action to stop them becoming worse. Unfortunately within the last 3 years I went in status, recovered but maybe decided it was better to go on the drugs again.
Recently my grand mals got a lot better, and then worse again (weekly) to my embarrassment. So I have recently started a combination of gluten/casein free diet, with LGIT. So far no seizures...Trying to keep off the high glutamates too... Let's see how it goes :)

Back
Top Bottom