Chemotherapy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi

Has anyone had experience with chemotherapy and medication &/or seizures?

I have complex & simple partial seizures. Have had good control since 2011. Take 100mg Lamictal twice daily.

Diagnosed with breast cancer 2 weeks ago. Start chemo on 9th July.

Oncologist doesn't think it will be a problem but I asked her to communicate with my neuro anyway.

Lucy šŸ˜Š

I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis.

After two years with my mom's breast cancer, all I can tell you is that the weirdest things can reduce the efficacy of chemo. There are off-the-shelf herbs that can cause problems. So the question is two sided--do the drugs affect the chemo and does the chemo affect the drugs. After having spent time on this forum, I no longer trust doctors' opinions in isolation. Running stuff by here has been invaluable. I know there is a huge cancer forum and I think it'd be useful to ask this question at that sort of site too.

Hi Lucy,

I was on Keppra when I did chemo for a brain tumor. I think part of the reason why I was put on Keppra in the first place was because of the possiblility that I'd have to do chemo and keppra is known for not interfering with chemo and vice versa. The interaction between chemo and aeds in brain tumor patients comes up a lot because bt patients often have epilepsy as a side effect.

Your idea to have your oncologist talk to your neuro is a good one.

Good luck! I wish you all the best.

Last edited:
Lucy --

The enzyme-inducing AEDs are the ones that have greater drug-drug interactions, and that don't tend to mesh well with chemotherapy. Lamictal is technically an enzyme-inducing one, but it barely induces them, so it's very rarely problematic. I hope your oncologist and neuro are responsive to your concerns and can set your mind at ease. Best of luck in your treatment.

Thanks everyone.
Both doctors have been great and are in communication with each other. Both say that the chemo drugs I will be taking will not interact with Lamictal.
My 2 biggest concerns were the fatigue and vomiting.
He said fatigue is ok, it is lack of sleep-tiredness that would cause a seizure.
If I am vomiting and miss 1 med, it's ok but not to take it again later.
If I am vomiting for more than 12 hours I should be admitted to hospital and if I miss the second dose in that 24 hours he is on call for me and will provide an IV aed. Unfortunately that would not be Lamictal, so it would be deciding between the lesser of 2 evils.
Thanks for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom