Chewing gum

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mspang

Stalwart
Reaction score
Question to all epileptics. Has chewing gum cause any seizures? :ponder:

I'm believing it might have me.

sorry dear. I do see how some of the fake sugars in some of them might have,

but i quit, pretty much
because sleeping after a seizure while chewing gum and getting it out of my hair was a pain in the tail, and the risk of choking

Sometimes I chew my gums in my sleep...then later my gums "chew me out" :p

personally I would say no for me on the gum and seizures...

Well I never chew gum so I won't have a clue but I did find this info which yourself and others may find interesting...as you could possibly have an allergy reaction or your system to one of the chemicals :)

Last edited:
People do not typically ingest gum, so they pay very little attention to its ingredients. The assumption is that if the gum is not swallowed, then the ingredients should not be a concern. However, the ingredients in gum travel into the blood stream faster and in higher concentrations than food ingredients, because they absorb directly through the walls of the mouth, and these ingredients do not undergo the normal filtration process of digestion.

Gum is typically the most toxic product in supermarkets that is intended for internal use, and it is likely to kill any pet that eats it. Commercial gum products contain roughly the same list of toxic ingredients, with differing labeling, which is virtually always designed to mislead.

Common Ingredients of Gum

After looking at several different brands of chewing gum, we found that these were the most common ingredients:

• Sorbitol
• Gum base
• Maltitol
• Mannitol
• Xylitol
• Artificial and natural flavoring
• Acacia
• Acesulfame potassium
• Aspartame
• BHT
• Calcium casein peptone-calcium Phosphate
• Candelilla wax
• Sodium stearate
• Titanium dioxide

Titanium dioxide is so cancerous that external skin contact is enough to cause cancer. Be reminded that all of these ingredients absorb directly into the blood stream through the walls of the mouth. Some of these ingredients are explained in-depth, because it is prudent to correct the myth that chewing gum is harmless and even good for you (e.g. "it strengthens the teeth").

http://healthwyze.org/index.php/com...o-your-health-than-anything-that-you-eat.html

Back
Top Bottom