Cleaning supplies & chemicals

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Eli

Stalwart
Reaction score
By the grace of God I graduated college last fall, finished the massive medical stuff at the epilepsy center in CA and moved back to the east coast. We looked at houses, bought one this spring and I settled in expecting that a more routine, slow paced lifestyle would mean an improvement in my seizure activity. I don't drive, I only get out a few times a month, I watch my diet and I have too many triggers so I don't do anything stressful or exciting.

I track everything, sleep, food, moods, hormones, cycle, daily activities, etc.

I painted all the walls in the house in April and noticed that the smell was a bit much but it was cooler then and I left the house open to air out. Heat is a trigger so I keep the house at 65-67 degrees and this heat wave about killed me.

So my point and question...
It's just me and the dog so the house doesn't need much cleaning as long as I clean up as I go. I usually wash sheets and vacuum one day a week. The bathrooms and anything having to do with bleach, comet, strong stuff I usually do on the same day. (Hate scrubbing tubs you know!)

This weekend I was working with a product called "goof off." Someone had painted the tiles in both bathrooms and it looks horrid, plus its peeling. So like a rocket scientist, I decide to work on removing the paint from the tiles. The product works great but oh dear god, it is strong. So I've spent the last couple of days laid up, having multiple seizures (at least 8 I am aware of) and still feel horrid.

So I looked back through my calendars and noticed that the days when I cleaned the bathrooms, (using bleach, comet, toilet bowl cleaner, clorox wipes) I also had an increase in seizure activity. Year to date I am averaging 7.9 seizures a week, since moving I am averaging 6.1. The # of t/cs have been reduced so many of them are partials.

Anyone else notice problems when using cleaning supplies, chemicals, etc?
Or comments in general?

I know I am sensitive to smells.

7th genaration also it is envirometally safe has cleaner with no scent to it that is what I have to use. With me Bleach forget it out for the count. Clorox or lysol wipes too. I have a problem now were if I see a wipes container I have a panic attack. At work I have to fight all the time with them not to use them and I supply the alcohol for 4 departments.

7th genaration also it is envirometally safe has cleaner with no scent to it that is what I have to use.

Thank you! Glad it's not just me being me.

I found 7th gen online after reading your post, thank goodness it's at walmart! I will give it a try. And thank you for your input.

My mom is so aware of my smell sensitivities I can feel her watching me and waiting in anxiety when we go out and enter a business. ie - certain restaurants and businesses cause me to seize. This will prob sound funny, subways at walmart are like being slapped in the face with scents. The candle isles at walmart - argh.

Last edited:
Oh, yes! Everyone looks at me at the store and waits to see if I make it through shopping with the lights and the smells! They all know who I am now that I have had problems there over the past 2 years. Work is another story. Right now I'm trying to get them to not allow air fresheners in the department and the departments around mine so I can have no problems at work. They have been trying to help me but it is a battle.

This probably sounds like overkill but I just haven't talked to anyone else about the smell sensitivity. To have someone else understand is so relieving. It's even worse right now, after a seizure cluster.

I say to others, do you smell that? They look at me like I'm nuts.

Being around a bunch of women is death between the perfumes, body sprays, hair products etc.

It's hard enough for me to make it thru my own shower with the soap and shampoo.

Yes, I have highten sensitivity so bad I have to use only certin soaps and sampoos. I work over nights so it can be controled to a point. I still have problems with the morning shift that comes in and cleaning stuff in the bathrooms. Oh, and the lights.

/huggs

I appreciate you!

I am able to use the dial citrus soap and suave citrus shampoo. But since I've had stores be out of those when I'm able to get there...I try to keep a half dz bottles of shampoo and dozens of bars of soap on hand.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh and tissues! My nose runs - allergies? - alot. I only use kleenex or the walmart brand like kleenex. Those lotion tissues or scented tissues are horrid!

Me too. I use Assie clean and clear shampoo and conditioner and use that for body soap too because I'm not allergic to it. Lol! It also has a orange cream smell and it is not strong. It also goes away quickly. I don't go to Walmart much. I mostly just do the grocery store becuase it is close to the house. Tissues I just use paper towels. Lol!

Back
Top Bottom