CODE BLUE or POST-ICTAL???

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
On the night of 12th, november, was sent to er after many many pc's and cp's - in ambulance was said (remember bits and pieces - foggy) she's coding - cva - pupils fixed and dilated. At er - code blue sounded all over hospital - dr. Put iv in juggler vein - but, put hand on chest - "she's breathing - vitals normal - not a code - she'd post-ictal".

My question is during post-ictal do the pupils get fixed and dilated??

Another time, i was about to be intubated, but they found out all vitals normal.

Once i "came to" in a very slurred voice i said over and over "post-ictal".

Nobody seemed to comprehend.

Once my vitals were all normal - i was pretty much left alone - deep sleep.

I am soooo sick of medical staff not understanding epilepsy.

I am not yelling - just easier to see in caps - forgive me.

I was in hospital 5 days this time, a week last month.

Taken off of triliptal due to low-blood sodium, now neurologist said she made a mistake - i have to have triliptal to not have pc's and cp's - had low magnesium this time - dr said due to poor diet.

Diabetes elevated.

It's good to be home. Now, taking more keppa, more neurontin, more triliptal, same klonapin. No seizing for about 5 days.

I feel fantastic.

But, apoxia also in consideration as o2 was also down.

I am frustrated - is the diabetes and sleep apnea causing seizures?

Was i really code blue - after such realm of seizure activity i often seem to stop breathing.

I must sleep all night w/cpap and o2 and any naps and am very short of breath - have copd, too.

I am frustrated because i am afraid that i am incorrectly diagnosed.

Is this brain disfunction - epilepsy - or is it pulmonary??

Stress relate?? One adult kid facing soon death of father in law/ bankrupsy/ loss of home/ failed nursing test/ emotionally disturbed child/ marital probs/ financial disaster/ etc. Other adult kid facing financial stress and relationship probs and yells and cusses at me and tells me to shut up - just like his father did.

Can stress bring on status epileptis and having cp's and pc's one after another with short post-ictal after each - is that status?

Memory got better when blood sugar was lowered w/ insulin.

Just frustration.

God bless ya'll.

Thanks for listening.

Wow... you have a lot going on there.
Sure glad you feel good taking all those drugs. I can't even imagine.
Not being a doctor I can't answer any of your questions. If you aren't sure if you are properly diagnosed, I suggest that you get another opinion. Or more if necessary.
Keep notes....

Just remember that it is rare to find a neurologist that can put a finger on the problem from the get-go. They do need your input and instincts to help them figure it out.

My question is during post-ictal do the pupils get fixed and dilated??

I know that my pupils dilate during a seizure but go back to normal for the post-ictal phase of things.

Once i "came to" in a very slurred voice i said over and over "post-ictal".

Nobody seemed to comprehend.

I do the same thing, sometimes I slur my words, other times I speak "nonsene" though I always think that I'm speaking normally, & other times I can understand people but can't remember any words.

I am frustrated - is the diabetes and sleep apnea causing seizures?

I don't know if diabetes can cause seizures but I do know that a seizure usually lowers your blood sugar afterwards. I've been told that people with e are more likely to be hypoglycemic for that reason.

That's about all I know for now, hope it helps.

Eric

I don't know if diabetes can cause seizures but I do know that a seizure usually lowers your blood sugar afterwards. I've been told that people with e are more likely to be hypoglycemic for that reason.

That's about all I know for now, hope it helps.

Eric

Rebecca's blood sugar was over 200 the last Tonic Clonic she had.
I think the low blood sugar is what triggers the seizure, and then the stress response is what raises it afterwards.

Everyone's experience is different.
You can do google searches on all the combination of words that come to mind for better knowledge of what is occurring.

Rebecca's blood sugar was over 200 the last Tonic Clonic she had.
I think the low blood sugar is what triggers the seizure, and then the stress response is what raises it afterwards.

Everyone's experience is different.
You can do google searches on all the combination of words that come to mind for better knowledge of what is occurring.

Actually I've had it both ways. I've found that too much sugar can trigger a seizure (especially Dairy Queen) but so can missing a meal or being hungry for too long. I think in me it's just any imbalance that is the trigger.

dear Ziggidypoo,
Re: the pupils , yes it is possible to be fixed and dilated if the seizure involved your occulomotor nerve ( cranial nerve III) which mediates the reflex for the constriction to light. the pupils get dilated because of the adrenaline in your system when you seized and they cannot constrict because the nerve is involved in the seizure.BTW , you said they shouted "CVA!" that stands for cerebrovascular accident. Do you have hypertension or have you any history of strokes before?
In my experience , sleep apnea and hypoglycemia (low sugars) can precipitate seizures but i think with your using the cpap , it should not be too great a concern. Your seizures can also be attributed to stress and the magnesium deficiency. I hope you get better soon :)

dear Ziggidypoo,
Re: the pupils , yes it is possible to be fixed and dilated if the seizure involved your occulomotor nerve ( cranial nerve III) which mediates the reflex for the constriction to light. the pupils get dilated because of the adrenaline in your system when you seized and they cannot constrict because the nerve is involved in the seizure.BTW , you said they shouted "CVA!" that stands for cerebrovascular accident. Do you have hypertension or have you any history of strokes before?
In my experience , sleep apnea and hypoglycemia (low sugars) can precipitate seizures but i think with your using the cpap , it should not be too great a concern. Your seizures can also be attributed to stress and the magnesium deficiency. I hope you get better soon :)

Hi, thanks to all for the input. What you said was very informative. I personally find that tobacco usage/ high sugar intake (being Type II Diabetic)/ stress can all trigger my seizures/ also sleep deprivation.

I know that when the EMT's were hollaring CVA/ CODE BLUE they did not know I was either ictal or post-ictal. I could hear but not respond, vitals normal, pupils fixed/dilated, but afterwards only remember bits and peices. I DO remember the ER doctor after putting in the IV in my neck said "she's breathing, vitals normal, not a CODE but post-ictal" - so HE alone of all of them was well informed.

I think this makes 6th day of being SUPER sleepy (new levels of meds) but no seizures even under stress.

I am SOOOO thankful for each of you for you help me so much to know that I am not alone in this WEIRD journey!!

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom