cognitive skills

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Annalize

New
Reaction score
Are there any of you who have problems with Cognitive Skills? Which are spelling, memory when reading and speaking - know what you want to say but can't (word search).

Last edited:
*chuckle* I'd think that that would apply to most of us here. :) But speaking only for myself, yes....I have problems with my memory. But, it's gotten better. I've been taking fish oil capsules and Magnesium.

Yes, I know it apply to most of us here but what I meant was do any of you have all 3 of these problems at the same time.

I never had these problems until after my last seizure 3 months ago. Now I can't remember what I have read, I can't spell and I cannot express myself in a way a use to do.

Hi Annalize
My daughter is 11 and had absence seizures since she was 4 years old always taken Emeds and yes she has cognitive and other learning problems.
I dont have epilepsy and have cognitive problems, mainly with what to say and how to put it in writing, takes me forever to post replies always checking and correcting my mistakes. My hand writing is shocking.
You are not alone with that one.
Cheryl.

Last edited:
After my second surgery those problems became really serious. They were bad after the first but after the second .... well .......
I try to answer something here and can't. I write and write and just give up.
I keep a Webster's right beside my PC and am too stupid to even find a word ~sigh~.
Whew..... it's hard to take.

When my wife was having severe seizure activity (frequency) and taking Depakote, she did have severe cognitive problems with memory, reading, writing and speaking. Once off the Depakote and seizures under better control (and resuming neurofeedback), the cognitive issues went away.

when I was on Dilantin I had terrible memory problems.
When I came off it my memory improved greatly.
I usually take 3 weeks get use to side effects of a med.I'm just prone to depression.:agree:
Belinda

My husband has problems with spelling,memory and getting his words mixed up al the time.
He had a LTL in 1972 hasn't had a full blown seizure since just auras.
But he's a genius in math.

Belinda:agree::bigmouth::pop:

I was born with cognitive problems!

All my life I was first in what used be called LLD or Learning Language Disability until it was changed to Special Ed. I have cognitve problems since I was born to alcoholic and drug addict parents what luck! And I was the youngest out of 4 siblings and the only one affected with birth defects you know. I now have short tem memory loss, I have trouble with organizational skills,and I repeat things often and I am only 34yrs. old but, from what I understand I had a stroke before birth! So this could caused alot of my problems!
David

Me too,

I have all those problems. Short term memory is shocking but long term very good, I can remember lots of things from my childhood but not to close the fridge.

I write a lot of stuff down, send myself emails, set alarms, and try to keep a regular daily routine. I try to eat a lot of fish high in calcium (some drugs remove the calcium from your body). And, frankly, if I can stave off diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer, or some other potential condition through my diet, I will do that.

Yes, I do.......

and the sad thing is, I'm a substitute teacher and a published author.:paperbag: I sometimes have to really think, or even pinch myself to sometimes get to where I need to be, wordwise......

And quite often, you will see where I edit my posts......LOL....spelling issues have been rampant lately.......:paperbag:

Back
Top Bottom