Cold Feet

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I have cold hands and feet all the time. Sometimes it's so bad I put gloves on and warm fuzzy socks.
I live in Florida!
"Cold hands, warm heart?"
M

here in Ohio today I do, especially since the heat was turned off at work all weekend. Even my nose is runny.

I have had cold hands and feet (especially feet) for years, even in the desert. As I've been studying seizures, I've wondered if there is a connection.

I also have a lifelong issue of a slightly runny nose! which has always been dismissed as allergies, even in the 'off season'.

For some allergies (like dust or dietary ones) there is no "off season." Have you ever been tested? Might be worth seeing what turns up.

I don't think chronic cold hands and feet are linked to epilepsy in particular, though there might be some overlaps related to circulation problems. Some anti-seizure meds (notably Dilantin) can cause loss of sensation in the extremities, but that's only after long-term use.

Cold hands and feet can also be an indication of thyroid problems (which can be a secondary seizure trigger for some), so you might want to get that checked out.

I have had cold hands and feet (especially feet) for years, even in the desert. As I've been studying seizures, I've wondered if there is a connection.

I also have a lifelong issue of a slightly runny nose! which has always been dismissed as allergies, even in the 'off season'.
I had both cold feet and a chronically stuffed up/drippy nose for years. Both went away when I went on the paleo diet and cut out all the gluten. And my seizures got way less frequent too. Bonus!

For some allergies (like dust or dietary ones) there is no "off season." Have you ever been tested? Might be worth seeing what turns up.

Cold hands and feet can also be an indication of thyroid problems (which can be a secondary seizure trigger for some), so you might want to get that checked out.

Tested for every allergy known to mankind, all negative.

Several fasting thyroid tests to check All thyroid markers, all normal.

I had both cold feet and a chronically stuffed up/drippy nose for years. Both went away when I went on the paleo diet and cut out all the gluten. And my seizures got way less frequent too. Bonus!

You know I have been wanting to do Paleo for a while now. Thanks for giving it more weight AlohaBird!

You might want to also check out the website of Dr. Symes, dogtorj.com
He has some very interesting info on the pervasiveness of gluten sensitivity, even in those not officially diagnosed as celiac. He is actually saying that seizures are a different manifestation of the same sensitivity.

so I asked this question in a TLE support group and the overwhelming response was:

No, but heat triggers a seizure

Maybe it's just me :)

If I am sleeping in too hot a room or with inadequate ventilation that can bring on one of my seizures.

Back
Top Bottom