Cold/flu meds and seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Junebug

New
Reaction score
Do any of you have a problem taking cold/flu meds when you are sick? I cannot take them because my seizures will increase and I will not be able to overcome being sick as fast as if I didn't take the meds. I know doesn't make sense but when I have seizures my body just goes haywire with my immune system.
I don't take any cold/flu med anymore because of this but if I get a sinus infection or ear infection, of course I have to take anti-biotics and even that is limited because I am allergic to pennicilin (hives) and Tetracyline's (hallucinations) and there are only a select few that work on bacterial infections for those illnesses.

What about you? Do your seizures increase when you are sick and take cold/flu meds?

Junebug: Hi. While I don't notice an increase in seizures when I get sick, my neurologist told me to stay away from Dextromethorphan, also known as the "DM" in cold & flu medicines. He said when combined w/ seizure meds, it can lead to a medicine induced "high". That's why I stay away from cold meds & just tough it out.

Hi, Junebug,

Drugs.com lists an interaction between Depakote and Benedryl.
http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=896-470,918-484

Also between Lamictal and Benedryl: http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=896-470,1430-848

No interactions between Lamictal, Depakote, Benedryl, and dextromethorphan, and Sudafed.

That doesn't mean you can't react badly to dextromethorphan or sudafed. Just that it wasn't observed in a certain number of people, or in the clinical trials. I think it's trial and error for each person. Some people take cold & cough medicine with their seizure meds and they do just fine. Some people have problems.

I can't take sudafed. It makes me feel like my brain is vibrating, and it increases seizures. I can't take benedryl, either. It doesn't seem to mix with my seizure meds. It makes it harder to breathe, among other things.

The only problem Ive had when it comes to medications to treat flu or colds, is Sudafed. I was taking sudafed all the time when I was on Keppra and Carbatrol. But since getting off the Carbatrol and only being on Keppra, I took the Sudafed and had break through seizures. All these years, no neurologist or primary care dr ever told me I couldnt take Sudafed. But after going for so many years being on two seizure medications, and then down to only one, it got the best of me and I had seizures. Since then, I havnt taken the Sudafed. My doctors nurse explained to me that it might not have bothered me before, since I was on two seizure medications, but now Im only on one, I dont have that extra medication that she called a "back up" protection, and it caused seizures to come up. So Ive stayed away from it.

I cann't take much of anything for a cold or flu, because each thing I've tried causes me to have seizure.

It wasn't this way when I was younger.

The only things I can take is 1 vit. C tablet and Cold-EEZE lozenges these have zinc in them. and I can tell that they help.
I can't take zinc vit. tablets, but I have not problems with these.
--they also come sugar free--

When I get a cough that will not go away.
my husband mixes honey, lemon juice, and HOT DAM
I can only sip less than a teaspoon.

Thanks everyone for your input!
I've found that I can't take Sudafed or Benadryl at all, NyQuill is a hit or miss so I just don't take it at all. I've just come down to the conclusion that I have to let a cold/flu run it's course and if I have a sinus infection, (which I seem to get those more often than a cold/flu) I use a nasal sinus rinse to drain my sinuses.

I also use a neti pot, using a saline solution when I have a sinus nfections. This helps, it washes the nasal passages.

I also use a neti pot, using a saline solution when I have a sinus nfections. This helps, it washes the nasal passages.

Yes this is what I use! I don't like the one that is in the shape of a kettle so I use the squeeze bottle.

I can't take any cold or flu meds. Even a Tylenol for pain will trigger a seizure at times. I use a nasal wash bottle & menthol lozenges for colds & sinus.

My doc says they don't interact with the AEDs but from what you've all experienced sounds like some due. I pretty much stick with Dayquil or Tylenol Cold & Sinus, and I use the Neilmed (NetiPot squeeze bottles) as long as I can actually breath out of my nose. Chicken noodle soup....

Back
Top Bottom