cold/sinuses and increased seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mejohn1

New
Reaction score
I've had a sinus infection for the last week and have had increased aura's and partials. Yesterday alone I had an aura just about all day. When I had my last tc I also had a sinus thing going on. So I'm curious, has anyone else had increased seizure activity when you've been sick?

Infections can lower the seizure threshold, so it makes sense. It's probably a combination of the stress of your body fighting the infection, plus the secondary stresses (fatigue, respiratory problems, dehydration, etc.). I assume you aren't taking them, but certain cold medications can also lower seizure threshold. And just to make things extra-fun, some of the anti-seizure meds can depress the immune system...

Here are some threads you might want to check out:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/cold-flu-meds-seizures-13948/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/can-aeds-effect-immune-system-13691/

Feel better soon!

I've had a sinus infection for the last week and have had increased aura's and partials. Yesterday alone I had an aura just about all day. When I had my last tc I also had a sinus thing going on. So I'm curious, has anyone else had increased seizure activity when you've been sick?

Absolutely. I have partial seizures from time to time but last year when I had a sinus infection I had olfactory auras that lasted a couple days. Or maybe there were lots of shorter seizures that just ran together. The fatigue I felt for a sinus infection was completely over the top. I actually went to the doctor and asked for a prescription saying I needed to stay in bed for 4 days. Doctor wrote a letter to my boss for me.

Now at the first sign of a sinus infection I have a routine I use. I take 2-3 Sudafed. 15 minutes later I use a shot of Afrin in each nostril, 5 minutes later another shot of Afrin and 5 minutes after that a 3rd shot. 10 to 15 minutes later I use a Neti pot. So far no more major sinus problems. I'm in the process of using this procuder right now to fight off a sinus infection.

I'm lucky I don't get sick that often, but I try to be very careful (some might call it paranoid lol) because I've had two illnesses - one intestinal and one a chest infection - in the last 3 1/2 years. Both resulted in worsening of seizures, and after the chest infection I never did rebound from the worsening and this resulted in a permanent increase in seizure medication.

Thanks all. I was taking Advil severe congestion, and though it worked very well for breaking up the pressure in my head, on the second day I was in constant aura and thought I could go any second (though i never had a full blown seizure). I remember I was suffering from a sinus issue in May when a grand mal hit, though at the time I was not on any meds for seizures. After being weirded out all day saturday with aura's I quit taking the sinus stuff and slept for about 12 hours. Haven't had any head issues since; though my eyeballs squeak when I rub them from all the pressure in my head, which really grosses my daughter out :)

Thanks all. I was taking Advil severe congestion, and though it worked very well for breaking up the pressure in my head, on the second day I was in constant aura and thought I could go any second (though i never had a full blown seizure). I remember I was suffering from a sinus issue in May when a grand mal hit, though at the time I was not on any meds for seizures. After being weirded out all day saturday with aura's I quit taking the sinus stuff and slept for about 12 hours. Haven't had any head issues since; though my eyeballs squeak when I rub them from all the pressure in my head, which really grosses my daughter out :)

I'm working on stopping a sinus infection that is trying to take hold. Most of the day I have been smelling incense burning. I have asked 2 people that came into my office if they smelled incense burning and of course neither one did. Not sure what's going on. Other than the annoying odor I have no other symptoms of a partial.

Back
Top Bottom