Comment about the VNS...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mspang

Stalwart
Reaction score
Whoever has had great success with it, congrats! I had it put in me 2007, but unfortunately had it shut off in 2010. :(

I also am happy for those who have had success with it. I had mine implanted in January of this year and had very high hopes that it would work for me. Sadly, due to lots of bad side-effects, it was turned off on July 1 without ever having gotten close to a therapeutic level. Here's a link to my whole vns experience in case you haven't seen it. Page 12 is where I talk about having it shut off.

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/my-vns-experience-22263/

Please tell us more about your experience with it, especially why it was turned off after apparently having worked for several years.

Best to you!

I got one in 2001 and the battery had be replaced twice.For my first 19 month I did great. Except 2 weeks after I got mine a new model came out. It never worked very well for me had to take lot of meds also.

I got my first VNS in 2007 and had to have it replaced in 2013 because the battery died. I'm also taking meds with it too.

It has helped me a good bit since I got it. I'm still having seizures, not nearly as many and not nearly as bad as they were before I got it. It also brings me out of a seizure faster than before I had it. Mine is set pretty high and it took a while to get to this point though.

What setting were you at and how well had it controlled your seizures before? Did you have any bad side-effects from it?

Actually my VNS could have been shut off maybe a year later if not sooner, but since it didn't cause any problems my neurologist left it on. The genius doc thought it was helping, what a dork. All settings were tried also.

Back
Top Bottom