Completed Sleep Deprived EEG

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Just completed my sleep eeg a few days ago......and had a few questions:

1) is it possible to have an abnormal first eeg and then a normal sleep deprived eeg?

2) A few minutes following th HV component of the sleep deprived I felt the musles in my neck and face periodically jerk....has this happened to anyone before? is this a 'normal' response? or a sign of an epileptic response?

3) during the eeg, i began to have some very vivid lucid dreams (which is quite common for me) where I was very aware I was dreaming - is this common in epilepsy? Will this show irregular activity on the eeg?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

I had a similar experience with my EEG: I was told it was a "vivid dream" but I know I was awake. I glanced at the clock and it was 4 something in the morning. I was having a terrible time sleeping, and I woke to hear people talking about me one night (not in a bad way; it was in reference to the EEG and/or video). I still swear the voices were real, and they could have been since I found out later that anyone in the EEG monitoring room can turn on a speaker to the patient's room and be heard. The voices were plain as day. Around the same time I was aware of my eyes very rapidly flickering or blinking - just like they do when you have the strobe light test done although I hadn't had this for a long time. I wasn't scared, but at the same time I didn't roll over towards the door to see if anyone was in my room.
The nurses, EEG techs, etc. all deny having spoken in the room or over the speaker that night. I was chewed out for not having pressed the "event" button, but I said why would I have - it wasn't a seizure and it wasn't something I'd ever experienced before (or since).
It still kind of haunts me, and I would swear that what happened was real. Maybe someone did accidently have the speaker on into my room, but could have been speaking in reference to someone else.
Was this at all like your vivid dream?

....not quite. It was before I was told I called fall asleep. I wS asked to close my eyes but not sleep and I began to drift and feel myself and see myself (as if I was looking down on myself) swirling above a whirlpool. I knew I was dreaming, but was also aware I must be sleeping. I most definitely felt as if I had gone somewhere else.

Can an eeg pick up this kind of activity? Is there a connection between seizures and dreams? As I mention I often have the most vivid dreams that I accurately recall when I wake up and sometimes realize while dreaming it is a dream. I now wonder if it is somehow connected to seizure disorders.

Also, the random twitching that followed the HV - is that seizure activity. It was mild but most def apparent to me. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom