Confusion an deja vu?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

marika853

New
Reaction score
Since yesterday have had several incidents of momentary confusion and feelings of deja vu. I am taking 1000 mgs. of generic Keppra and have been doing well. Don't know what is causing this. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?
M

They sound like simple partials, esp. the deja view. Have you experienced this kind of seizure before? Has anything changed recently that may be lowering your seizure threshold? (i.e., fatigue, illness, stress, missed dose, change in generic manufacturer, etc.).

Let your neuro know about these symptoms. If they episodes persist, it may mean that your seizures have changed and it's time to review your dose.

This sounds very much like the simple partials that I have.

Sometimes your dosage of med might need to be changed, raised usually. I've had to do this several times with my meds I've been on. Other times your body becomes used to the med that it really doesn't work any more and might need changed all together.

Defiantly talk to your neruo and let him know about this.

Sounds like simple partials. I had no problems on Keppra for a while, but had some simple partials. The doctor tried an increase in dosage before adding a second drug to work in conjunction with the Keppra.

It could be a simple change in you that makes an adjustment necessary.

So talk to the doc.

Thank you all. I did call dr. 9:30. Nurse called back at 2:30 to confirm what I had told them in am. Then she said she'd tell dr. and he will get back to me. Never called yesterday. I'm going to call them again this morning.

Even though I take Keppra and Vimpat at recommended max dosage if I push myself with too many hours at work and/or don't sleep enough the deja vu's start. They don't stop until I get some sleep and that means on occasion I have left work to take a nap.

Since I live alone, I don't know how I'm sleeping. I think I'm getting enough sleep. I have had some added stress.

Going to see dr. today at 10:20. Wants to up me to 1500 from 1000. Am afraid of side effects.
M

Good luck at the doctor's today. Even 1500 mg of keppra is not that high, so my guess is that you will not have any lasting side effects beyond a few days to a few weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed that this dose increase does what needs to be done!

good luck too, when they increased my a Keppra I definitely had side effects but they started easing after a few weeks

Thank you all for responding. My dr. told me that the brain MRI he did last month came back totally normal. No tumor, lesions, nothing. Now he wants me in the hospital for 3 days for observation. This is the first dr. that has attempted to try and figure out what the heck is going on with my body. He thinks perhaps it isn't even seizure disorder! Today is my 2nd day on the higher dosage. The only thing I notice is that I am more emotional than usual. Side effect? Or just me?
My son is staying with me for awhile so I am not alone. Will keep you posted.
M

Run a camera to monitor yourself during your sleep. Quality sleep is the benchmark I use to know how well my meds are working. When my dosage is too low, I start doing really weird crap in my sleep.

I'm not saying this is how you should benchmark, but it would be an important observation.

The only thing I notice is that I am more emotional than usual. Side effect? Or just me?

Keppra can effect your emotions. Most of the time it will make you angrier, kepprage is the nickname for it. Sometimes it can cause depression. It might take a few weeks for your body to adjust to the new dose and it will go away. If these go on for a long period of time (the Kepprage usually stays) or get to the point that you can't take them then your neuro might change your meds.

Great! Something to look forward to. I have been on Keppra since 2006. Luckily, have never had the rage but perhaps that is because I had been well maintained with a pretty low dosage.
I now know how a lot of you here feel. I've started obsessing about all the things that I can't do and that has made me anxious.. so now I have entered the hamster wheel. Not a great place to be.
One Day at a Time.
M

I also get deja vu from time to time use get them a lot they horrible since had cloberzam I take when start getting them that improved,unfortunatly I tend to abuse the cloberzam.The epilim did not help things definatly improved when started lamatgine but I do get the smell and the panic attack feeling..None of it nice

Back
Top Bottom