Coping with nausea

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

juzzyk

New
Reaction score
Does anyone have suggestions for dealing with nausea as a side effect of medication?

I have been on Epilim since October and did not initially experience nausea but have since my dose was inceased about six weeks ago. I am keeping a diary and trying to work out any foods which may be making it worse, but wondered if anybody had particular dietary suggestions to avoid nausea. I am pretty much constantly hungry but trying not to overeat. I have tried some ginger gum which sometimes helps. Are there any other products which may help?

I had constant nausea for about six months because Trileptal was leeching sodium from my body. I found mint tea and sipping on coca cola to be helpful. Cola is a remedy for nausea. If you don't like Coke, you can get anti-nausea cola syrup OTC. It pretty much tastes just like cough syrup.

I also have heartburn/reflux/indigestion type problems, which would aggravate the nausea, so I avoided foods that would trigger that. Spicy foods, milk, foods high in acid, and foods high in fat like cream sauces and fatty meats. I ate a lot of chicken soup and saltine crackers.

Zofran was sometimes helpful also. You might ask your doctor for a prescription for Zofran, since the nausea is treatment related and not from a virus.

So so sorry you are feeling so sick--that is such a horrible feeling.

I have not tied this, but I was told fresh pineapple helped nausea.

Hope you find something that helps you.

Thanks Jemsister, I will try some of those suggestions. I had not heard of cola having this effect. I'll ask my GP about Zofran for the really bad days.

Jyearta, thanks for the suggestion. I will give anything a go.

Back
Top Bottom