Could it be?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have been on Depakote ER about a week now and am noticing something that I wonder about. Prior to my diagnosis of TLE with partial seizures, I had been having odd panic-like attacks, especially in the morning upon wakening. I would have heart palpitations, shake and feel dizzy and spacey. Once it happened, I felt tired and shaky all the rest of the day. I had told the neurologist about it at my appointment and he said that panic attacks can be a form of seizure activity. The last couple mornings, I have not had the panicky feeling when I wake up. As a matter of fact, I've only had it one time in the past few days and that was yesterday. I was in a luncheon in a room with overhead lights (which always lead to the panicky feeling -- I can't hardly go into a Walmart, Lowes, etc.) and I started to feel the heart palpitations and shakiness. I left and once I got out of there, the feeling went away and was gone in a minute or so and I was fine the rest of the day. Is it possible/likely that these have been partial seizures all along?

If that is the case, as I continue to take the Depakote er, will I eventually get to where the overhead lights don't bother me or will they always be a problem if that is a trigger for me? I do plan to ask my neurologist these questions when I go in mid-Nov. to have blood checked and see how I'm doing on the medication. Thanks for your input.

Is there any possibility this is exposure to fluorescent lights - or any lights that flash?

Not blue tinted lenses but I did get a pink tint put in my lenses on the recommendation of my optometrist. The overhead lights definitely are fluorescent and, yes, I think that is probably the trigger. Will it get better in time with Depakote? At least the mornings are much better already.

I did read the link on the blue-tinted lenses and found it interesting. Does anyone know anymore about them, where you get them, etc.?

Well, you

would have to order those through your eye doctor/optometrist (spelling?) I believe.....I may have that wrong......

Fluorescent lights are a trigger for so many people. They have never bothered me a bit (thank goodness!) I almost LIVE under them but So many of us can't even shop in stores like WalMart because of fluorescents.
I can't think of many things more "inconvenient".
Right now I'm sitting in the local town library and its light are fluorescent. What would I do without it/them?

I believe Meetz is right. You're best off ordering them through your optometrist.....as for whether you'll be able to go into stores with overhead lights and not be bothered by them, possibly. Everyones seizures are different, so it's really hard to say. If overhead lights bother you, it sounds like your photosensitive. Which basically means flashing lights, certain patterns, and certain kinds of lights or lighting effects can trigger seizures for you. So in the meantime, play it safe. :) And wait and ask your neuro. :)

I did read the link on the blue-tinted lenses and found it interesting. Does anyone know anymore about them, where you get them, etc.?

z1seeker said:
The following contacts should be able to help you order the Zeiss Z1 lenses. I believe they both have contacts with Canadian Zeiss representatives. Both optometrists can order the lenses and mail them to you. Picking out a frame and finding a lab that is willing to cut them to fit your frame would be your second step. Your local optometrist can guide you in that process. One interesting thing I learned about these lenses is that they naturally come cross-polarized. You can add single vision and bifocals to them. They are a base 6 lens - knowing that can help select appropriate frames. I have spoken to both optometrists and they are very helpful.

Richard L. Silver, O.D.
Professional VisionCare Associates
14607 Ventura Blvd.
Sherman Oaks, CA, USA 91403
Office: (818) 789-3311
Fax: (818) 789-1047

Richard Pidwerbeski, O.D.
Spectacular Optical
322 McLeod Ave., P.O. Box 5153
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Cananda T7X3A3
Office: (780) 962-9208

Good luck.

Last edited:
I do have seizures like that. They are brought on by stress, loud noises, and suddenly being startled (I'm not entirely sure if its the noise causing them or being startled by the noise). The alarm clock going off when i'm dreaming seems to be a good cause for this

As a child people used to comment about how I was shaking (slight tremble) and I'd respond "I always shake"

I'd avoid the lunchroom if I were you. I have stores I avoid because they make me sick and dizzy and I now suspect that has to do with their lighting.

I'd already kind of figured out that I was photosensitive prior to my diagnosis of epilepsy but thought the dizziness and headaches I was getting were migraine-related. Come to find out, they were partial seizures instead. It's frustrating though and somewhat debilitating. This summer, I went to my uncle's funeral and they had a luncheon in another room with fluorescent lighting that really bothered me. I wasn't in there long when I felt horribly dizzy, shaky, headachy, and panicky and actually went and sat outside because I thought I was going to pass out. I was okay the rest of the day but was exhausted. I just hope I can get to the point where I can at least function in those types of environments but i guess we'll have to wait and see. I am glad to know that I'm not the only one and do plan to look into the blue lenses.

Back
Top Bottom