Could this be a side effect of Lamictal?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jvere

New
Reaction score
Hi all!

I hope this is where this question goes. I did a search first but didn't find any related posts.

I have been taking Lyrica for 5 months now and just started on Lamictal a little over 2 weeks ago.

I know I am not supposed to drink..... but.....

I had two beer-type things (Mike's Mango something or other) last night and one this afternoon. I mention that because, IDK, it may be important? I know it could make Lamictal side-effects more severe.

For the last few days my legs have been hurting. Sorta just a general achiness, like I ran the day before in the wrong shoes or something. Not bad enough to bother me.

Today it is more vascular-feeling. Almost like edema, but there's no edema. Been getting worse as the day goes on. And no, I am not prone to edema or cardiovascular problems. The only time I felt this wierd sensation was right after I gave birth a few years back when I did have post-partum pitting edema.

I've read that Lamictal can give you strange achy feelings but does this fall under that? Is it a side effect because if so, I am not going to continue taking this!!!!!!

I'd be grateful for any insight. And I won't be drinking ever again, regardless!! The anxiety makes it not worth it!

Jenna

Hi Jenna --

Lamictal can cause achy joints and also have vascular side effects, so it's possible that's what you're experiencing. As with all the side effects, it's difficult to predict if they will continue to bother you, or will fade as your body adapts to the meds. If it seems like the pains are dealbreaker right now, let your doctor know ASAP.

The beer shouldn't make a huge difference unless you are particularly susceptible to alcohol. In combination with the Lamictal it might knock you out a bit, or make you feel more tired than usual.

Thanks for your reply. I guess I just wanted someone else who knows what this is like to say "yup, probably side effect." I'm a single mom and sometimes I feel like the only person in the world that goes through this stuff, you know.

Thx!

Lamictal

I am taking the generic verion of it and I have to admit that I am getting off of Zeongran slowly and I am totally off of Nuerontin now finally. This stuff is really helping me have less seizures and the fact that I am more awake in many ways my short term memory is much better as well. I feel that the restless sleep I have is because I am more aware now because of the medication I hear more at night when I sleep. So you have to remember the reasons for the side affects is it because maybe we are becoming more normal with this med. than under a different med that is making us really drugged up at night.

I'm on generic Lamictal with Klonopin at night as an anti-seizure, anti-anxiety drug. Together, this duo works for me.

I don't like that I am taking two anti-seizure meds. I would rather try the Klonopin add-on rather than lyrica. Am i wrong in thinking there are fewer side effects?

I took Klonopin for one week when my daughter was having surgery and I just remember that it didn't do anything weird at all, it simply made the anxiety go away. Lyrica, however, has done freaky stuff to me. Grr.

My strange leg thing has all but gone but now I've got a weird pulsating lump in the throat thing... but wait... that could be because I have an adolescent in the house! :/

Lamictal

I was also on Lamictal for a while, after a couple of weeks, I started having really bad pain/cramping in my hips. A few days later a few little bumps on my chest. The next day woke up with fever and covered and I mean covered even in places I wont mention here with a terrible rash and a swollen face, tongue and throat. When I began having trouble swallowing, I went to the ER, they took one look at me and I was admitted for several days. No more Lamictal for me. Keep an eye on yourself and keep doc informed. I hope everything goes okay for you. Prayers for you, Cake.

So is it completely unreasonable to expect any anti-seizure med to work all the time, even through times of stress?

I had to go fetch my teenager from WalMart yesterday because he witnessed a fight and was being questioned. I had someone meet me there, once I saw it was going to take a while, to take my little kids. It was very stressful.

Once we were free to go, I walked around the store looking for my friend and my kids and OMG! I thought I would not make it! Big-time Alice in Wonderland! It was difficult to walk a straight line. Once I found them I took hold of the cart because I felt sure I was going to pass out.

So am I just supposed to expect some "breakthrough" episodes in times of stress (stress + fluorescent lighting, that is!) even on a med? Or does this mean the meds aren't working?

Thanks for any insight.

Jvere, I don't experience any side-effects from Klonopin and never have. However, no matter how magic your meds are, stress is a sure fire trigger for breakthrough seizures.

Stress can trigger hyperventilation which can provoke seizures, especially absence seizures. It can increase cortisol, known as “the stress hormone” because cortisol is secreted in higher levels during the body’s “fight or flight” response to stress. And it’s responsible for several stress-related changes in the body which also may influence seizure activity.

Negative emotions related to stress, such as anger, worry or fright, may also cause seizures. This happens because the limbic system, the portion of the brain that regulates emotion, is one of the most common places for seizures to begin.

So, try not to be so hard on yourself...

Jvere --

My seizures are completely controlled on Lamictal, so it's possible for meds to work "all the time", even in times of stress. But it can depend on the kind of epilepsy, as well as the individual response to medication.

Back
Top Bottom