CPS's and SPS's Why Did You First Go to the Doctor?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dline

New
Reaction score
Wonder anyone who has Complex and Simple Partial Seizures not due to traumatic/direct injury (known), what symptoms drove you to go to your general doc. or a neurologist in the first place (unknown)?

• I wasn't sure what was happening to me but I had started to get weird headaches
  • really bad memory and confused
  • felt "strange" like "out of body--which was hard to say to the doctor without sounding absolutely crazy :)
  • and at times couldn't really understand what people where saying to me.
That was when I decided it was REALLY time to go to the doctor. When I explained some other stuff, he said it sounds like Complex and Simples (never even heard of them before).

Just trying to put some pieces together. Thanks!

Last edited:
I was seeing a counselor due to bad grades in high school. After some time, he started timing me when I would "phase out". He was reading about lesser known types of epilepsy and suggested I see a doctor.

I was lucky enough to have my GP insist the top pediatric neurologist see me ASAP. Turns out that the counselor that knew little about epilepsy was correct. They were absence seizures then. It was only a couple years ago that I started having T/Cs.

Breaking it down, that was the only thing that initially sent me. It wasn't until later that I was able to recognise some deja-vu and dizziness as abnormal.

For me... Married at 19. Was at home alone. Got out of shower had this strange déjà vu feeling and started feeling a little sick. Sat down on toliet. Next thing I know I'm picking myself up off the floor then wondering if what I did was for real. Had moved far from my family. Just married for a couple of months. I like you did not say anything to anyone I did not know or understand what had happened. Thought people would think I was crazy. This same thing happened a month or so later. Just the same. I really thought I was crazy. Then one Sunday afternoon my husband (now ex) and I were at home spending the afternoon watching football. I kept getting the déjà vu feelings over and over. Didn't say anything to him. Didn't even remember going to bed. Had TC after going to bed. Came to my ex saying I'm taking you to ER you just had a seizure. Went to ER and they gave us name of neuro to follow up with.

with me it all started with minor blackouts going down stairs. may have had minor blackouts while not on stairs but they were no real problem via normal walking, least not that I knew of. for me this was the start of it all and it gradually grew worse.

I didn't know what I was having was seizures (nocturnal). I just knew my sleep was constantly interrupted by something and that is what first took me to the doctor.

I've had seizure's almost my whole life, but had nocturnal seizures during my childhood, but then I had one in front of my sister about 8, 10yrs ago, she then brought me to the doctor, she told them what happened, and they confirmed that was epilepsy.

Last edited:
For me it was very similar to what you are going throw.

Headaches was the main reason, i was one that never had headaches and to be constantly getting them at work, i thought it was my environment that was causing the headaches. Went to my regular doc, he told me to take headache meds and let stay away from dairy items. Well that did not help at all. I was also experiencing out of body type experiences, but looking back at them they were all some form of seizures, from the drop down seizures, to not being able to remember where one is at. I figured I would sound crazy telling the doc about those things. :) Since i didn't want to be admitted to any psycho ward. :) In a way, i should of told him about those incindents, not sure if i mentioned any, since it was over 8 yrs ago.

But what really did it for me was a Tonic clonic seizure at work, that i thought was a faint spell, followed by the worst headache i ever had. I called the advice nurse and she said go to the emergency ward immediately. So i went and that is when they found my baseball type tumor. They wouldn't let me leave the hospital for fear i would go into a coma. So i did the week stay and mid week, my surgery took place and my tumor was removed. Good bye Tumor and hello to Epilepsy. What a journey it's been.

:piano: :pop:

I woke up one morning, my tongue was chewed to shreds and blood all over the place, my body was sore all over, and my shoulder was out of the socket. I didn't tell anyone about this for quite awhile. I was away a lot but when my wife saw me have one with me biting my tongue, well that was it. She became my Mother and told me in no uncertain terms that I was going to tell my flight surgeon. They found that the cause most probably was due to a head injury I sustained in 1993, which was never taken care of in the first place :rolleyes:

while I was studying,reading and in class I started having wired occurrence
things fading out ,size change ,losing time ,getting sensations and needs to just pass out and sleep. Just folded while snowboarding blacked out twice in a row ,other sports
fall , space out, do strange sh*t
I got spooked and decide to bring it up at appt.

Remembered when I was littler I stuttered terribly disliked talking at all, seeing colored patterns of things , size change ,migraine, time gaps and passing out ,bitting tongue all the time, random accidents.
So I asked and was asked questions. Dr. Did some test I had a seizure and they dimmed lights and I got referrals and testing

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom