dark blobs in peripheral vision

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Ravensong

Stalwart
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I've been on this forum and for that I apologize. My seizures are mostly under control, but other stuff in my life is not, so I've been mainly focused on trying to deal with that.

I was diagnosed with temporal lobe (complex partial) seizures many years ago and went through periods where I would have hundreds of seizures of day. I did, finally gain pretty good control on Topamax until, that is, I was required to take the generic, due to high cost of the brand name on my insurance. On the generic, if I have any stress (and my middle name is stress) or miss even one dose, I have breakthrough seizures. Or, what I think are seizures. None of the neurologists I have seen can ever agree.

So I'm wondering if anyone here has ever experienced this before. I've had these ever since my first grand mal. I see dark blobs of varying shapes out of my peripheral vision. Sometimes, they will be about the size of a mouse and I'll think it's a mouse and turn my head and it'll be gone and then remember, "oh, it's just that thing I see," or it'll be the size of an insect and I'll do the same thing. These days, it's more of a flappy thing, kind of like an elephant ear, a little farther back in my field of vision, and it's gone pretty quickly.

All but my last and current neurologist said these are seizures. They can't tell me what they are. They're driving me nuts, whatever they are. And I don't know whether to call my neurologist or not. My psychologist and psychiatrist says they are NOT psychological hallucinations.

I was diagnosed with temporal lobe (complex partial) seizures many years ago and went through periods where I would have hundreds of seizures of day. I did, finally gain pretty good control on Topamax until, that is, I was required to take the generic, due to high cost of the brand name on my insurance. On the generic, if I have any stress (and my middle name is stress) or miss even one dose, I have breakthrough seizures. Or, what I think are seizures. None of the neurologists I have seen can ever agree.

If the name brand gives you better control, stay on it. I've been with the same issue. You need to have your neurologist sign a medically necessary waiver. This will explain to your insurance company that you need to be on the name brand. Each year you will have to get this waiver sent it.

I see dark blobs of varying shapes out of my peripheral vision. Sometimes, they will be about the size of a mouse and I'll think it's a mouse and turn my head and it'll be gone and then remember, "oh, it's just that thing I see," or it'll be the size of an insect and I'll do the same thing. These days, it's more of a flappy thing, kind of like an elephant ear, a little farther back in my field of vision, and it's gone pretty quickly.

You should see an optometrist and possibly a ophthalmologist to check that.

I don't experience the dark blobs. But I do have to deal with "floaters".

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/eye-floaters/basics/definition/con-20033061
http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/spotsfloats.htm

When I first noticed them, it got me frightened. So I went to see an optometrist right away. After the optometrist checked my eyes, he explained what they were. I just need to be aware of any changes. If they get worse go back ASAP. I wear eyeglasses for nearsightedness, so I get my eyes checked every two years.

If the name brand gives you better control, stay on it. I've been with the same issue. You need to have your neurologist sign a medically necessary waiver. This will explain to your insurance company that you need to be on the name brand. Each year you will have to get this waiver sent it.

You should see an optometrist and possibly a ophthalmologist to check that.

I don't experience the dark blobs. But I do have to deal with "floaters".

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/eye-floaters/basics/definition/con-20033061
http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/spotsfloats.htm

When I first noticed them, it got me frightened. So I went to see an optometrist right away. After the optometrist checked my eyes, he explained what they were. I just need to be aware of any changes. If they get worse go back ASAP. I wear eyeglasses for nearsightedness, so I get my eyes checked every two years.

Thanks for your reply. My insurance co. doesn't care if I take the brand name, but it's hugely expensive and I can't afford it so I'm stuck with the generic.

I did go to the eye doctor, and my eyes are fine. These are very different from floaters. They are very large (in comparison), solidly dark, and don't move randomly in my vision. They move, instead, from right to left, if they change location.

It's funny. I noticed that the last time I was on this site I asked about these, too. Sorry about that. I'm really frustrated, I think that I have been unable to get any sort of understanding about this, and any kind of certain message from my docs about it. I know that having epilepsy (or anything brain-related) can't always be black and white, but...

Thanks for your reply. My insurance co. doesn't care if I take the brand name, but it's hugely expensive and I can't afford it so I'm stuck with the generic.

You should check with your neurologist office about the "free drugs from the manufacturer
program". They work with your insurance company & neurologist to get you the needed
medication free or at a reduced cost. Many times you get a 3-6 months supply. You can check these sites, or the manufacturers site.

https://www.pparx.org/
http://www.healthfinder.gov/rxdrug/

I did go to the eye doctor, and my eyes are fine. These are very different from floaters. They are very large (in comparison), solidly dark, and don't move randomly in my vision. They move, instead, from right to left, if they change location.

You need to explain what is going on with your neurologist(s), and see what they can do.

It's funny. I noticed that the last time I was on this site I asked about these, too. Sorry about that. I'm really frustrated, I think that I have been unable to get any sort of understanding about this, and any kind of certain message from my docs about it. I know that having epilepsy (or anything brain-related) can't always be black and white, but...

No problem there, we all get frustrated. Remember the doctors work for us. If they don't
do what we need, listen, help, find someone that will.

You should check with your neurologist office about the "free drugs from the manufacturer
program". They work with your insurance company & neurologist to get you the needed
medication free or at a reduced cost. Many times you get a 3-6 months supply. You can check these sites, or the manufacturers site.

https://www.pparx.org/
http://www.healthfinder.gov/rxdrug/

You need to explain what is going on with your neurologist(s), and see what they can do.

No problem there, we all get frustrated. Remember the doctors work for us. If they don't
do what we need, listen, help, find someone that will.

Yeah. Tried all that. Been through a number of drug companies and programs and no one will help *because* I have insurance and work. Most won't even talk to me.

I guess I need to find another neurologist. This one, though, is on the BofD for the EFA. And he's supposed to be an expert. Anyway, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom