Dealing with Migraines w/o perscription?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I also tried the magnesium with my migraines and also feverfew-but it seemed to set off my migraines more-which appears to happen with any supplement I take. It seems to be a case by case... I have a close friend who is a homeopath (aureveydic) who does something called "oil pulling". She uses sunflower oil each day in her mouth.....swishes for 15-20 minutes...spits it out....swears she has not had a headache since she started. (best part is no side effects-no pills) I haven't tried it-but it is worth looking up. Stress was my biggest trigger along with any hormonal changes and any dramatic barometric changes in the weather. I have not had a migraine or vertigo since starting topomax about 2 months ago. I had great luck also with the modified Atkins diet-and no sugar-but just didn't stick to it.....Cranial Sacral Chiropractors are the best at getting rid of the pain during a migraine rather than just getting your back/neck adjusted......all the pin points are actually in your jaw and along the top of your skull......good luck to you! I hope you find improvement!

That's good information about the B vitamin and yeast. I'll keep an eye out for it. I certainly hope I didn't buy the wrong magnesium. Although he could probably use a little laxative, I didn't buy it for that reason :). I want to see if it helps my migraines too!

I gave him an epsom salt bath about a week ago, which I had to practically bribe him into sitting into the tub. Somehow baths and teenage boys don't mix. Though I can't understand why?:roflmao:

My parents even noticed a difference in him on Sunday, so something is working in our favor. Fingers crossed.

Is there any way to deal with migraines without a prescription? I have two to five a week. Yesterday it started at noon lasted through bed time at ten getting more intense as the day went by . I also had twitching in both legs off and on from 2 P.m to 6 p.m. (like restless legs I guess) my local Docs don't won't to prescribe anything until the Epileptologist sees me in June.

I Became instanty irritable when this started snapped at my wife (apologized a lot and made her breakfast today) When it started I had a lot of forgetfulness remembering important thoughts about an hour delayed lasting throughout. I only had very subtle upper body shakes about three time yesterday also during the headache.

Any advice?

John Runer
My procedure is an ibuprofen paracetamol combo (don't wanna mess with the e meds) dark bedroom, no noise, cold face cloth but nothing else on my head. I usually fall asleep after an hour or so and it has subsided to a dull ache after about 3 hours but I still have a residual headache for days afterwards so it's not a great cure but it takes the edge off enough to function

I was getting clusters of migraines around my cycle, every day for 5 days. I've also noticed that taking magnesium every day stopped them--I haven't had one since I started it, about 3 months ago. But I also started reducing topamax at the same time, and while that is a migraine med, I think it substantially contributed to my migraine problem because it caused electrolyte imbalances. I can't say for sure but I think it was finally balancing out magnesium that made them stop in my case. Increasing magnesium also helped keep me from having low potassium all the time--I was eating my body weight in potassium every day and it was still always low--once I started taking magnesium it leveled off (magnesium is considered a 'master mineral' in that if it is at the right levels it optimizes the absorption of others).

One of my seizure medications was recently switched to valproic acid, also a migraine preventative, and so far intensity of migraines has been reduced by about 50% and frequency about 30%. The intensity is reduced to the degree where I can largely function during a headache/migraine, which is a big improvement.

I was prescribed Nortiptalene for my migraines. I'm holding off for as long as I can before I start taking them though. I'm taking enough crap as it is. I've never heard of valporic acid. I may have a look in to this.

Although my migraines are reduced now, the methods I use do work.

I hate to take extra medicine because like most of us.
I'm taking enough crap as it is.

So I go with the natural methods. Cold cloths on my head while I lay down in a dark quiet room. That means nobody else in the room, no tv, no phones at all.

If this doesn't work I add some music. What kind of music doesn't matter. As long as I can get lost into it.

Once I get this far, there's one last step. A nice long nap 1-2 hours would normally work with no interruptions.

This method may or may not work for everyone, but it beats taking more medications.
You can use the method for migraines, stress, upset stomach, etc.

I hope this can give everyone the relief they need.

So I go with the natural methods. Cold cloths on my head while I lay down in a dark quiet room. That means nobody else in the room, no tv, no phones at all.

If this doesn't work I add some music. What kind of music doesn't matter. As long as I can get lost into it.

Once I get this far, there's one last step. A nice long nap 1-2 hours would normally work with no interruptions.

This method may or may not work for everyone, but it beats taking more medications.
You can use the method for migraines, stress, upset stomach, etc.

I hope this can give everyone the relief they need.

I've tried just about everything medicinally but none of them helped at all. This is the only thing that I've found that gives me any sort of relief. I usually end up falling asleep too but I may wake up after a few hours and the headache will still be there. Luckily it's always gone by the next day though.

If the migraine doesn't completely go away, it typically weakens in strength.

Then it becomes more bearable, and will go after a relaxing evening, meal, good nights sleep.

Back
Top Bottom