Depakote AND Keppra? Possible cocktail?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

AndrewIrish

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hey all,

Was just browsing epilepsy.com and saw they'd updated some information... I have heard of Keppra obviously but never knew it was very similar to piracetam ( a european drug very useful in treating myoclonic jerks)... and if I could combine Depakote(to combat TC's), I think that might be a really good cocktail to treat JME... anyone currently on Depakote AND Keppra... results?

Gonna be going back to a Doctor shortly so I can get my license back and may look into this regimen...

my main concern is combating the myoclonic jerks... I'm almost 2 years seizure-free(tonic clonic) whilst off of drugs mostly... so if I can throw Depakote in as a backstop and supplement it with Keppra to cut off the myoclonus, whoo boy I'd be in there...

I've taken Valproic Acid(Depakote) before and it seemed to work... it seemed to eat my guts alive (gave me the most god-awful citrusy heartburn indgiestion thing everytime I took it)... but I'd power through it if it works....

Ah la vie, I'm beginning to think I should just 'move on' with life and quit worrying about unless I start ramping up the TC's again... I don't have any other seizure issues other then myoclonus anymore and I'm beginning to think if I start 'tinkering' with my brain chemistyr with drugs, I might end up making things worse... I'm in a bit of a natural balance right now(no TC's), so maybe I should also just leave it that way and accept my myoclonus as a part of my life and concede alot of things? I mean, hey... it could definately be worse... should I rock the boat so to speak to combat TC's I'm not even having? When I've gone to most doctors and said, 'please god help my myoclonus', most don't even know what it is... not really a concern to 'em...

alas, what do you all think?

These two drugs, A drug, or maybe no drugs at all?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom