Depo contraceptive injection and Lamictal

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Wobblez

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Ive been talking to my doc about alternative contraception because the combined pill reduces the efficacy of Lamictal. As it turns out her hubby is an epileptologist and suggested I try the Depo 3monthly injection. Side effects can include weight gain, depression and acne, none of which Im keen on. I was looking into the Merina but Im not so keen on that either. I wanted to try the progesterone mini pill because ive been on that before but Doc politely suggested the depo would be better. Any thoughts?

i was told that the pill i was on would stop working after i started taking medication, so they changed the type of pill to one that will work better for me. i haven't had any problems since so it must be working ok for me. so you may not have to change to the injection

DONT DO IT!!!

I went on the Depo needle, was 110 lbs, and ballooned to 170 in 4 months. The pain of skin stretching plus the horrible braxton hicks false labour pains when I wasnt even pregnant! It sucked! plus when I went off, I had my period for a month solid!!

IUD works well for me -- no worries about hormones. (Plus as a bonus, women who use IUDs are about half as likely to develop cervical cancer as those who have never used one).

I tried everything for my catamenial epilepsy including natural progesterone and the only thing that cured my seizures was a monthly Depo Lupron shot. The side effects were night sweats, hot flashes, loss of energy. Basically going through early menopause, but it was better than having seizures. I was seizure free for three years on that stuff. I finally decided to stop it and see what would happen. I remained seizure free for 2 more years and they just recently popped up again. I can't go back on it because I want to have a baby.

Never been on Depo but most of my friends who used it gained a LOT of weight and as they described it, it made them crazy... and you can't take it out if it is really negatively affecting you. I just started on Mirena a month or so ago and minus the awful cramps the first couple of weeks (never had any kids so I hear that makez it worse) I've liked it so far. I have gained a couple of pounds but I think that has something to do with being on vacation :)

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I was on depo before, sorry but I can't remember how long but I know it was for a few years, and 9 years after I was diagnosed with epilepsy and didn't have any of those problems.

I had a hysterectomy about a year ago (I'm 35) and I've actually gained more weight since I've stopped taking it. I don't know if the hysterectomy has anything to do with that or not?

I was on depo before and hated it! I wouldnt suggest going on that. Now back in the days when i was dating, and before getting married, I was put on the pill. It worked for me, even with taking Carbatrol and Keppra for my seizures. I was put on the pill at 18 years old, and then at the age of 22, I got pregnant. The doctors cant conclude it was from the pill mixed in with the seizure medications, but all I know is that when I tried that depo shot, it messed up my body! I wouldnt do that one at all!

My daughter has the depo, but she has it every 10 weeks . She was having the odd breakthrough and this would bring on a seziure . Her nurse is considering the merina now , but she is on a rescue med for the seven days she is at risk , two months into using the drug and no seziures . At present she is taking 500mg morning and night of keppra and 300mg lamactal in the morning .

The pill was really ineffective with my epilepsy meds for me and I was advised against depo because of the side effects. I recently had my second Mirena installed (had my first removed to have another baby) and I think it's great. My periods stop completely with the Mirena so it's great!

I am on the Merina. I am really sensitive to hormones.I stopped having bad periods. And it has a lot less hormones in it. I got something about it in the mail and liked what I read. So I went to my obgyn and she said that its a great thing. And most people don't even know about it. Go and talk to your Dr. about it. But the Depo is something I would never do. Gaining wheight, having more seizures.With the mirena you have a little card and they check it look at it every time you go the doctor.

Back
Top Bottom