Depression and Epilepsy.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi I am from Boston. I have been treated for complex partial seizures. It has been written that if you have epilepsy , on the left side, you will have depression. I have been told that if you have epilepsy you must be depressed. There is no way around this. What are your symptoms: Do you feel strange to yourself, out of body, anxiety attacks pick at clothing, feel like a ghost or feel numb. Things seem to far away? Perception problems?

I have left TLE and I've only read that epilepsy increases the likelihood of depression as high as 30%.

Studies say that a lotbof factors go into depression with people with e, but the biggest thing is not being on the same wavelength as others. I remember feeling like that as early as kindergarten. Of course it was never me that pointed it out, it was other children and adults, and I never knew what was wrong with me...until I started having seizures.

Seizures for me began at age 13, so I grew up very down on myself for not being able to live as others did.Disappointing parents, and I was unable play college sports, join the military or fly planes, things I built my life around doing. In high school had seizures before many big events in my life, social and academic. Studies say that dissatisfaction with life along with a "stickler" personality are precursors to the depression.

When I take medication my libido drops like crazy, and I think slower than others. I get paranoid that doctors and Eugenics organizations create AED's to remove people with e from the gene pool. Paranoia is also a symptom and a trait that can drive people away...also adding to the depression.

Basically a lot of little things that are out of our control, including living the only life we have with an uncurable chronic brain condition. A lot of the sadness is avoided when you have a feeling of success and sense of belonging as you deal with this.

I am thinking that when you are being paranoid about these nightmare doctors and sinister organizations trying to remove people [and they mean you] from the gene pool -- at that point you would be called dissociated and also possibly it could be said that you were having a left temporal lobe seizure [in accordance to the article I just read that Cinnabar posted a few years ago]. In other words, it is a symptom of the condition. And if you were a genius, like Dostoevsky, you would then sit down and write a novel so the rest of us could reflect and grapple with ourselves by reading it. Was D depressed? He knew plenty about it. But he was so worried about making money how did he have time to be depressed? His only son died of a seizure and soon after he himself died. He was young. And of course he had been sent to Siberia for a few years. Still he wrote those amazing books.I don't know what I am trying to say except that I don't really believe in HAPPY for anyone. I don't notice that there is that much of it around.

It has been written that if you have epilepsy, on the left side, you will have depression. I have been told that if you have epilepsy you must be depressed.
Hi Steven --

Those things you were told aren't true. For one thing, I have epilepsy, and I am not depressed. It is true that people with epilepsy have a higher incidence of depression compared to the general population. It is true that people with temporal lobe epilepsy have a higher incidence of depression than people with other kinds of epilepsy. Within the category of people with TLE, one study suggested that it's people with right side seizure focus that are more likely to have depression than the other way around. But another, larger study found NO difference between right and left seizure focus. There haven't been a ton of studies, there's a lot of inconsistency in the methods and measurements of depression in epilepsy, and there's no consensus as to the exact numbers for the prevalence.

This means that it's not a foregone conclusion that someone with epilepsy will be depressed. Regardless of numbers though, the main takeaway is that it's important for a neurologist to discuss the possibility of depression with an epilepsy patient, and vice versa. If you have a history of anxiety and depression, and/or are feeling depressed currently, talk to your neurologist to discuss which anti-seizure medications make the most sense. Ask about treatment options (such as anti-depressants and therapy) that can help with co-occurring depression or anxiety.

It is true that people with temporal lobe epilepsy have a higher incidence of depression than people with other kinds of epilepsy. Within the category of people with TLE, one study suggested that it's people with right side seizure focus that are more likely to have depression than the other way around. But another, larger study found NO difference between right and left seizure focus. There haven't been a ton of studies, there's a lot of inconsistency in the methods and measurements of depression in epilepsy, and there's no consensus as to the exact numbers for the prevalence.

I came to the same conclusion, so I am glad you posted this. I do have TLE, stemming from the left side and I do suffer from depression, too. But like you said, that doesn't mean everybody who has TLE will suffer from depression, also.

This means that it's not a foregone conclusion that someone with epilepsy will be depressed. Regardless of numbers though, the main takeaway is that it's important for a neurologist to discuss the possibility of depression with an epilepsy patient, and vice versa.

More importantly, IMO, it is best to discuss depression with a neuropsychologist.
Plus, my severe depression didn't manifest itself until after my temporal lobectomy. It was after surgery that they told me I had a damaged hippocampus. There is increasing evidence that a smaller hippocampus leads to depression.

http://www.mycme.com/home/recurrent-major-depression-may-damage-hippocampus/article/424145/

TLE Left and Depression causation and depression

I have been told by my neurologist, well known who teaches at a major Hospital, that most people with left sided TLE will have depression and you will generally have both together. I Have tried every type of anti depressant from MAO's , SSRI's and Tricyclics. Tricyclics I cannot take as they will cause seizures. I am functioning but have suffered from lack of motivation which is treated with a a drug starting with A.

Hi Steven --

Just to re-emphasize, from my post above:

"Within the category of people with temporal lobe epilepsy, one study suggested that it's people with right side seizure focus that are more likely to have depression than the other way around. But another, larger study found NO difference between right and left seizure focus. There haven't been a ton of studies, there's a lot of inconsistency in the methods and measurements of depression in epilepsy, and there's no consensus as to the exact numbers for the prevalence."

Your neurologist may be a well-established professional, but I think this particular information he has provided you with may not be 100% correct. That aside, if you have no options as far as anti-depressants go, it may be worth seeking out a psychotherapist, or neuropsychiatrist to find other treatment modes that will help (if you haven't done so already). Depression is a hard burden to bear, esp. with co-occurring epilepsy, and you shouldn't have to bear it alone.

Hi Steven --

Just to re-emphasize, from my post above:

"Within the category of people with temporal lobe epilepsy, one study suggested that it's people with right side seizure focus that are more likely to have depression than the other way around. But another, larger study found NO difference between right and left seizure focus. There haven't been a ton of studies, there's a lot of inconsistency in the methods and measurements of depression in epilepsy, and there's no consensus as to the exact numbers for the prevalence."

Your neurologist may be a well-established professional, but I think this particular information he has provided you with may not be 100% correct. That aside, if you have no options as far as anti-depressants go, it may be worth seeking out a psychotherapist, or neuropsychiatrist to find other treatment modes that will help (if you haven't done so already). Depression is a hard burden to bear, esp. with co-occurring epilepsy, and you shouldn't have to bear it alone.

My daughter has left-sided temporal lobe epilepsy and suffers from both generalized anxiety and depression. She is not current on an anti-depressant, but has found a lot of help from working with a wonderful therapist. It can be hard to find the right person, but it is worth trying! I honestly do not know where she would be without that support.

Back
Top Bottom