Did I have a seizure last night?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

obedear

New
Reaction score
Hi, guys. Newbie here.
So last night I was finding it difficult to sleep. It's very hard to describe what happened because I can barely remember it and part of me wonders if it was just a dream. For a moment, maybe five seconds, I recall my head feeling tingly and I think I was shaking. I remember imagining my flatmates were with me and I was shouting on them to help me, and I was really scared. Then I woke up/I don't know what, and I was a bit confused and suspected I'd had a seizure. It was about 5am by this point, so I went online to check for seizure symptoms but was still left unsure. I went back to bed shaking violently and feeling sick - possibly due to the shock/fear of what I thought had just happened to me?
Background info: I'm a massive worrier. Last year I worried about my heart constantly and at one point phoned an ambulance because I thought it had stopped beating. This all happened during an exam period. I'm just heading into another exam period now, and am pretty stressed about it. I've had pressure headaches for about a week. I suspect it's a sinus infection, but it has been worrying me too: maybe this has contributed to me considering I've had a seizure. I've also had a couple panic attacks in the past few weeks.
I'm not sure if I'm just trying to make myself feel better and listing off things that might mean it wasn't a seizure. I considered going to the hospital as soon as I suspected I'd had a seizure, but decided just to sleep instead. Of course I'll book an appointment with my doctor for as soon as possible, I'm just wondering if any of you guys have had any similar experience/advice.

Thanks.

Hi obedear, welcome to CWE!

It can be tricky to distinguish between anxiety and seizure symptoms, especially because some kinds of seizures can take the form of increased heart rate and feelings of fear or nausea. Nocturnal seizures can be particularly difficult to identify, since there are often no eyewitnesses, and our observational abilities are undertandably murky when we are half-asleep. My hunch is that given your history, your symptoms are anxiety-related -- but the best person to help you sort things is out is a doctor and/or neurologist. Make a note of what happened -- and if it happens again consider making an appointment with your GP. In the meantime, focus on avoiding any stressors that may be playing a role. Many of the factors that can trigger a seizure (like fatigue and stress) can also trigger anxiety or migraines or other transient symptoms. Try and be pro-active about your health -- make sure you are sleeping and eating properly, and get your sinus infection checked out. If you can, avoid stimulants and alcohol and generally aim for balance and moderation.

Are you taking any cold medications? If so, you may want to hold off for a bit -- some of the ingredients can make anxiety (and seizures) worse. Do you have a counselor or therapist to help with your anxiety and panic attacks? It can be a good idea to schedule extra sessions when you know your external stressors will be high (like during exam periods). If you have any favorite stress-relieving techniques, now is the time you to put them to work. Progressive relaxation can help as well as meditation -- even just a few minutes a day can make a difference.

I hope you feel better soon and can relax and focus on you exams. Please feel free to check in here again if your unusual symptoms re-occur (or even if they don't).

Best,
Nakamova

Last edited:
Hi obedear, welcome to CWE!

It can be tricky to distinguish between anxiety and seizure symptoms, especially because some kinds of seizures can take the form of increased heart rate and feelings of fear or nausea. Nocturnal seizures can be particularly difficult to identify, since there are often no eyewitnesses, and our observational abilities are undertandably murky when we are half-asleep. My hunch is that given your history, your symptoms are anxiety-related -- but the best person to help you sort things is out is a doctor and/or neurologist. Make a note of what happened -- and if it happens again consider making an appointment with your GP. In the meantime, focus on avoiding any stressors that may be playing a role. Many of the factors that can trigger a seizure (like fatigue and stress) can also trigger anxiety or migraines or other transient symptoms. Try and be pro-active about your health -- make sure you are sleeping and eating properly, and get your sinus infection checked out. If you can, avoid stimulants and alcohol and generally aim for balance and moderation.

Are you taking any cold medications? If so, you may want to hold off for a bit -- some of the ingredients can make anxiety (and seizures) worse. Do you have a counselor or therapist to help with your anxiety and panic attacks? It can be a good idea to schedule extra sessions when you know your external stressors will be high (like during exam periods). If you have any favorite stress-relieving techniques, now is the time you to put them to work. Progressive relaxation can help as well as meditation -- even just a few minutes a day can make a difference.

I hope you feel better soon and can relax and focus on you exams. Please feel free to check in here again if your unusual symptoms re-occur (or even if they don't).

Best,
Nakamova

I have been taking ibuprofen for a while and I plan on seeing a doctor tomorrow. I'm constantly aware of feelings around my head now. It tingles and hurts in places. Having a hard time sleeping too because I'm worried I'll have another seizure, or whatever it was. I should have mentioned that I had taken ecstasy a couple of weeks before I started feeling head pressure so this may be a cause too.

Thanks for the advice. :)

Hi Obedear, welcome to the forums!

Firstly I'd like to say I really respect your honesty. Doctors will also appreciate it because as Nakamova mentioned, epilepsy is notoriously hard to diagnose. Anxiety can cause seizures in people who have epilepsy and seizures can cause anxiety...they are scary!

I do agree with Nakamova that it sounds like you woke up to an anxiety attack. You may have had a bad dream that triggered it, but you may not remember it. Best to get it checked out though. Write down your symptoms, keep a diary and try not to over-analyse it. I understand that's tough though, its pretty scary either way. Keep us posted.

Certainly sounds like it could have been a seizure, since I have had symptoms similar to yours with some of my szs, but with your history of anxiety and panic attacks it could be that as well. You probably realize this already, but it would be a really good idea not to use any recreational drugs for a while. If there is a chance that you do have a seizure disorder you don't want to make it worse with drugs. Best of luck, and let us know how things work out!

Back
Top Bottom