Did I have a seizure last night????

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Crazy Monkey

Playing With Angels
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Over the last 3-4 days I had noticed that I started to get a lot of quick but quite violent reflex jerks in my joints (for example my leg would suddenly kick out without me telling it too), probably about 1 an hour, this is unusual for me which is why I started to pay attention to them, I normally have absence seizures and nothing more.

Then last night, the small reflex movements continued when I was trying to get to sleep, everytime I was close to sleep I was jerked awake.

Then the next bit is quite foggy, all I can remember is being woken up by my whole body jerking repetatively but only for about 20 seconds or less it was difficult to judge, was this the end of some type of seizure, I do not know whether I lost consciousness at all and if it was a type of seizure I don't know how long it lasted for. When I woke up during the jolting, I found that my fists were clamped shut and it took a minute or so for them to unlock. I felt a bit dazed but nothing bad. I made my mind concentrate on a game for a little while and then I fell into a deep sleep until it was time to get up for work.

This morning I had a lot of absences, probably twice as many as normal, I counted about 22 in the first 2 hours of waking up and these are the ones that I noticed, I might have missed some. Everytime I had an absence I felt a bit sick and dizzy, which is not a normal feeling for me.

I have done my best to describe it, but to be honest I didn't really know much about it. I have tried to keep quite relaxed about it today because I don't want any repeat performances, luckily it doesn't appear to have scared me otherwise I would have been straight on the phone to someone even if it was 2:30am

Does this sound like it could have been a type of seizure??? I have been told by my neurologist in the past to expect larger/different seizures, could this have been one??

Last edited:
Yup.

:paperbag:They sound like myoclonic seizures. It would be best if you got on the phone to your neuro after all, and discussed it with them......since this is not in your usual pattern......

Sounds right to me too.

Every night before I go to sleep I have these too, and the doctors have said the same thing to me. They also happen during the day as well so please call your neurologist!
David

I just did a quick search and came up with this:

Titre du document / Document title
Might calcium disorders cause or contribute to myoclonic seizures in epileptics?
Auteur(s) / Author(s)
THIEL R. ;
Résumé / Abstract
Although epilepsy is not rare, many epileptic conditions are considered to be idiopathic and the related seizures of unknown origin. It does appear that different types of seizures are caused by differing mechanisms. This paper discusses scattered case reports involving problems with calcium metabolism and the thyroid, and/or the parathyroid glands concurrent with seizures that support the position that calcium control mechanisms may have been involved in causing seizures in those patients. This paper hypothesizes that calcium levels can cause, or at least contribute to myoclonic (jerk) seizures, as well as to possibly infantile spasms. As these conditions are difficult to treat medically, this paper suggests that nutritional interventions, such as supplemental calcium, magnesium and/or vitamin D, might well be considered as an option as a first-line treatment in those with these types of epileptic disorders. The nutritional recommendations also would apply for those who have seizures concurrent with Down syndrome.
Revue / Journal Title
Medical hypotheses ISSN 0306-9877
Source / Source
2006, vol. 66, no5, pp. 969-974 [6 page(s) (article)]
Langue / Language
Anglais
Editeur / Publisher
Elsevier, Kidlington, ROYAUME-UNI (1975) (Revue)
Localisation / Location
INIST-CNRS, Cote INIST : 18253, 35400014285135.0200

Excellent suggestions RobinN! I'm taking calcium and vitamin D supplements. Initially I thought it was due to osteoporosis, but it's quite possible there's an extra bang for my buck with these supplements. It's my understanding the vitamin D helps our body absorb calcium. So, I decided to get those CHOCOLATE chews that contain both calcium and vitamin D. It's my chocolate fix for the day. They also contain vitamin K.

Over the last 3-4 days I had noticed that I started to get a lot of quick but quite violent reflex jerks in my joints (for example my leg would suddenly kick out without me telling it too), probably about 1 an hour,

Those sound like myclonic seizures ("jerks").

Then the next bit is quite foggy, all I can remember is being woken up by my whole body jerking repetatively but only for about 20 seconds or less it was difficult to judge, was this the end of some type of seizure, I do not know whether I lost consciousness at all and if it was a type of seizure I don't know how long it lasted for. When I woke up during the jolting, I found that my fists were clamped shut and it took a minute or so for them to unlock

That sounds like a possible tonic clonic, except that it is unusual to have conscious awareness of it during the convulsions.

Does this sound like it could have been a type of seizure??? I have been told by my neurologist in the past to expect larger/different seizures, could this have been one??

Sounds definitely possible to me.

Hi Everyone thanks for replying

Bernard - t/c was on my mind, but because of being conscious I ruled that out which is why I posted the question. Last night I had something that felt smaller but similar, I woke up to biting the side of my tongue, my mouth seemed 'stuck' and I didn't seem to be able to release my tongue. Does this sound like it could be a larger Myoclonic or is it possible to feel the end effects of a tonic clonic??? I am not sure as I have never had anything like this before so I am seeking advice, I have an appointment with my neurologist in a couple of weeks time so I can talk it over with her then.

Tongue biting is generally associated with either tonic clonics or complex partials.

Thanks for replying Bernard

I don't believe I have ever had complex partials, only generalised absences, what normally happens during a complex partial? do my symptoms match? would I not know if I have had a t/c would there be after effects? because I feel fine today no absences like yesterday, the only thing I remember about last night was waking up gripping my tongue on the side as far back as what I think was my molar teeth and I seemed unable to release it.

Back
Top Bottom