Dilantin, Collagen and skin

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dignan

Stalwart
Reaction score
I've heard that Dilantin affects collagen production, and I believe that is part of its effect on connective tissue in general (which is why it can cause gum growth).

I was wondering though, how this might affect someones skin with regard to wrinkles and aging. Does the collagen production from dilantin usage help with wrinkles, make them worse, or have no effect?

Just curious.

Applied topically, Dilantin can definitely play a role in helping the skin wounds or ulcers heal. And it inhibits collagenase (which breaks down collagen). But anti-wrinkle, collagen-stimulating products are usually in the form of creams and injections. It's unlikely that taking Dilantin orally at the dosages used to treat epilepsy would have a significant effect one way or another on wrinkles. (A study on rats showed that Dilantin can increase skin collagen significantly, but the rats were getting 10 injections per day of 25mgs each -- that's a lot of Dilantin in human terms!).

Other factors -- genetics, sun exposure, diet, smoking, etc. -- are much more likely to play a role in skin health in general and wrinkles in particular.

I know what can work for one person can be poison to someone else, and I'm sorry you had troubles with it. What was your experience like?

I didn't like the potential for long term side effects, which I suppose you can say of any AED, but I had no everyday problems or complaints when taking dilantin.

From day to day I felt fine and had decent seizure control. Only thing i noticed from it was excess hair growth, but they took me off of it because they said it was affecting my bone density.

I sometimes wonder if it gets a bad rap just because its been around longer and therefore everyone knows what its potential long term issues are, where as we may not know what the newer drugs are all about until we've all taken them for 20 or 30 years.

Applied topically, Dilantin can definitely play a role in helping the skin wounds or ulcers heal. And it inhibits collagenase (which breaks down collagen). But anti-wrinkle, collagen-stimulating products are usually in the form of creams and injections. It's unlikely that taking Dilantin orally at the dosages used to treat epilepsy would have a significant effect one way or another on wrinkles. (A study on rats showed that Dilantin can increase skin collagen significantly, but the rats were getting 10 injections per day of 25mgs each -- that's a lot of Dilantin in human terms!).

Other factors -- genetics, sun exposure, diet, smoking, etc. -- are much more likely to play a role in skin health in general and wrinkles in particular.

Nak, I have't found anything on it researching online, but I do wonder about the inhibition of collagenase and if that could actually help the skin of people that take dilantin orally for years. Or if the lack of dilantin after years of use could suddenly thrown things back into gear and cause what seems like more wrinkles or sagging skin.

Another thing I've wondered about is its affect on hair. I know dilantin can stimulate hair growth (all over). One thing I've noticed since I stopped taking it 4 years ago is hair loss (not just on my head but noticeably less hair on arms, legs, eyebrows, etc). Also, the color of my hair has gotten lighter in color. More blondish in eyebrows and beard versus dark brown and I've noticed more white hairs popping up. I was curious if there was some connection. Part of me feels Dilantin was having some effect, but I cant prove it or find any research on it either.

Back
Top Bottom