dilemma time

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Long story short I was on keppra about four months before I started getting moody. I was also nearing the end of pregnancy so when I broke my toilet in a fit of rage it was blown off as pregnancy hormones.

The rage continued after pregnancy and my neurologist agreed it was likely just hormones returning. My baby is now five months old and the rage is continuing to worsen and I'm honestly beginning to believe the Keppra is the culprit. I am yelling at my six year old child, something I have NEVER done. I am yelling at customer ser if employees, something I have again never done. I am breaking things, snapping over the most insignificant issues, I'm impossible to live with. I go from being perfectly happy to the worst possible mood within a fraction of a second over something as small as onions on my burger. I cry about everything and I will admit I have recently on occasion thought that my kids and husband would be better off without me. I'm too rational to kill myself but the feelings of being a failure and a letdown and worthless are very real for me at the present.

I also was put on topamax this weekend. I started on 25mg2x daily. I'm on 1000mg 2x daily of keppra. In 9 days I am supposed to increase my topamax to 50mg 2x daily.
Problem is since I've taken it I have had an increase in my complex partials. I've have four I'm fairly certain in the last two days and more simples. I feel like I did before I was medicated at all. I feel like I did leading up to my last big seizure.
So I called my neurologist to see him, hopes of getting off the keppra and to discuss the topamax and find out if I should still increase after 9 days considering how I've been since starting... They can't fit me in for 15 days.

So I'm at home taking care of this little baby afraid to even hold her because i can't remember how I got in this room or what I'm supposed to be doing (one of those kind of days)
So anyone have an idea what I should be doing here?

Kepprage is very common side effect. I have heard people take vitamin b for the issues of kepprage. I would be concerned with the topamax. If it gets too bad I'd say screw it and go to the ER if someone can watch your baby and of course take you. I understand the fear of having a seizure around kids I'm a stay at home mom with three kids that are 6 months, 20 months and 3 years.

Thank you soontobemommy! I will look into the vitamin b. I worry about my rage because its gotten really bad. I'm not a violent person by any means but I've seen many non violent people snap and do something violent when the circumstances were against them. With the rage im feeling, the stress of the new medication, I just quit smoking cigarettes a few weeks ago, having a baby... It's a lot of stress and I don't believe I would do anything but I've already broken a dust pan and a toilet :/
With the topamax would they take me off of it? My seizures were increasing which is why I was put on topamax, keppra was no longer cutting it. I was looking forward to topamax since I'm about 10lb over weight and have troubles with both sleep walking/eating and migraines (all topamax are useful in treating) so I'm really hoping topamax will be a match and was hoping maybe the keppra is what needs to be lowered?
Either way, when would I determine if I should visit the hospital? If I had how many or what type of seizures? Last I saw my neuro I was actively having c/ps but not as frequent

I get some pretty bad kepprage. If you can name the person, place or thing I've probably blown up about it. I don't think I've ever broke anything but I've come very close to putting a hole in the wall a time or two. I don't know how I managed to stop myself.

When I was at a concert once the guy in front of me and the guy behind me kept high fiving over my head. After trying to politely (if that's what you want to call it) get them to stop I finally grabbed one of the guys wrists so hard that I probably cut off the circulation to his fingers. I got them to stop the hi fiving but I think I ruined the rest of the show for the guy!

The worst time was when my friend was over with her 3 year old daughter. When I looked down I saw that she was coloring all over my $20 coffee table that was practically falling apart. I started screaming and yelling at the little girl as though the coffee table was a family heirloom and was over 100 years old. I ran to get something to clean it off with and yelled at the girl telling her that the crayon had better come off.

She started crying so bad that my friend said she'd get me a new coffee table if the crayon didn't come off and that they were going home. Luckily she's a VERY good friend and we can joke about this now but after I realized what I did I felt so bad.

I'd ask your dr about taking the vitamin B6 first. I tried taking it all on my own and started having seizures like crazy. When I stopped my seizures went back to normal, still having them but not every day.

Last edited:
I will look into the vitamin b.
It's vitamin B6 in particular that is supposed to help with Keppra's mood-related side effects, so make sure that's the one you try. I hope it helps and you feel better soon.

Thanks I couldn't remember what one lol. But, general rule of thumb is if a seizure lasts more than 5 minutes, recover time is longer than usual or if you have them back to back without coming out of it/barely coming out of it also if you have a new seizure type. I think they would probably stop the topamax, but maybe you can ask about trying a lower dose? I would talk to them about switching the Keppra if possible. Good luck hun I hope all goes well and I definitely understand the stress.

I was taken off Keppra and given VimPat because of Rage on Keppra. KeppRage I destroyed a family heirloom with a sledge hammer, really I was screaming I don't want this anymore, I don't want this, I don't want this anymore.

L on I thought I wrote a response but I will try again... I will also use large font on my next question in hopes to gain an answer without a new thread.
I saw my neurologist today. For the first time since I started seeing him two years ago that I actually felt listened to. However, today was conference day at schools so my six year old accompanied me with my five month old so I was distracted and restricted on what I could say to say the least. I got my point across though.

He decreased my keppra by 1/2 down to 500mg 2x daily and doubled my Topiramate to 50mg 2x daily.
Problem is the topomax I making me extremely forgetful, spacey, confused.. I feel lost and out of it. DOES THE TOPAMAX BRAIN SCRAMBLE EVER GET BETTER?Even if I were seizure free I sometimes feel unsafe to drive. I feel like I'm scrambled, that I'm losing my marbles and basically my head would fall off I it wasn't attached, that describes me to a t already, now my topamax is being doubled. Will that gett better or worse over time or with the medication increase?

Back
Top Bottom