Disability changes?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I received a letter from the government today stating that I will be able to work October 1 at which time my medicare wil cease. Looking over the form I have to send in to get this date extended, a neurologist isn't one of the types of doctors who is allowed to send in the information - am I reading that right, or is my not getting any sleep for most of the past 2 days catching up with me. I couldn't sleep at all since yesterday around noon even though I tried to and felt tired. Just a few days ago I was sleeping 12 hours every day.

*I also received another letter today stating that I would receive the maximum amount of food stamps until march because I am unable to work due to disability :S

Last edited:
They might be trying to pull a fast one under the wire, before this gets signed into law:

Feature Story from civilrights.org
Tyler Lewis
September 11, 2008

On September 11, the U.S. Senate passed the ADA Amendments Act of 2008 on a voice vote, restoring Congress' original intent to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990.

"Today's Senate passage of the ADA Amendments Act gives the nation a glimpse of the legislative process at its highest and best. No narrow partisan politics barred the way to reinstating a vulnerable class of people with disabilities who had been excluded by narrow court decisions from the law's protections – such as those with diabetes, cancer and bipolar disorder," said Nancy Zirkin, executive vice president of the Leadership Conference on Civil Rights, in a statement.

The bill will overturn Supreme Court decisions that have reduced protections for certain people with disabilities – including people with diabetes, epilepsy, heart disease, mental disabilities, and cancer – who were originally intended to be covered by the ADA. The ADA prohibits discrimination against Americans with physical and mental disabilities in such areas as employment, public accommodations, and transportation.

"This vote demonstrates the broad-based bipartisan support for the need to restore protections under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to people with epilepsy, depression, diabetes, cancer and a host of other conditions who have been interpreted out of the ADA by a callous majority of the U.S. Supreme Court," said Andrew Imparato, president and CEO of the American Association of People with Disabilities, in a joint statement.

In an unprecedented show of cooperation, disability rights, civil rights, and employer groups worked together to propose language that eventually became part of the bill, which made it easier for both chambers to vote on the bill quickly. The House passed its version of the bill overwhelmingly (402-17) on June 25.

"After many months of negotiation, the legislation represents a sound compromise between the Senate, the House, the business community, and the disability community. We urge that it be enacted quickly and signed into law," said Randel K. Johnson, vice president of labor, immigration, and employee benefits of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

President Bush is expected to sign the bill into law in the coming weeks.

http://www.civilrights.org/library/features/024-senate-adaaa.html

Back
Top Bottom