Disciplining the kids caused a seizure!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

LJ-Bain

New
Reaction score
Having seizures is unpredictable at best...full of surprises!
Being a mother is also quite surprising and unpredictable so when you
combine the two it really is quite interesting.
My topiramate has been doing an excellent job of controlling my seizures
but perhaps it is no match for full time child care of a 3yr old boy, and a 5yr old and 8 yr old girl when school is out! My own darling children of course!

I discovered my 3 yr old finding my girls necklace bead making kit (read a huge massive tiny mess of beads spread out over my entire bedroom) and I started to yell at him to stop and for the first time this induced a seizure!
I am used to loud noises starting them up but not my own yelling!
Too funny!
Well, except when I come around to my son asking if I am ok.

Sigh. School starts in September and I am embarrassed to say that I am looking forward to it!
Haha!

Life throws you curveballs. I just hope my kids learn (hopefully) how to roll with it!

Raising kids is not easy at all. I have 3 grandkids who spend a month or so with us every summer. They are wonderful kids, but they have a lot of that kid energy which I have to admit tires me out and it's a relief when they go home. When the last of our own 3 kids went away to college I missed him a lot for about a week and then I realized that the whole "empty nest" thing is pretty nice! My wife is a teacher and it will even be nice when September rolls around so I will have a lot of the day to myself. My bicycle business will slow down some then as well.

As for your seizures, since stress can bring them on it doesn't surprise me too much that you might have had one when you did, especially since that stress has certainly been building up all summer.

Keep your cool and remember that there's only about a month to go!

Onward and upward!

LJ,

My two kids are grown and on their own now, but growing up, they witnessed many of my seizures. Kids are very resilient and will learn to roll with life's curve balls. They need to know that their mom is okay, tho, if/when they witness a seizure. Educate them on what to do. They are never too young to learn about seizures.

I once witnessed my dog barking herself into a seizure . . . I believe it may have been about brain inflammation (of gut origin) and vulnerability to seizure.

I once witnessed my dog barking herself into a seizure . ..

I once witnessed someone's dog go into a seizure at the ball field where my son used to play baseball. But it was because the dog accidently stepped on the electrical outlet. Poor dog. I was glad it was the dog instead of me having the seizure this time.

There's a post on YouTube about a dog that is from the area that I live in. His owner was gone for over a year and when she came home the dog got so excited that he fainted!

As far as the seizures - My husband and I got into a horrible yelling fight with each other once. I started shaking like crazy. I never blacked out so I don't know if it was an actual seizure or if it was just really bad tremors, which I've never had before then. I ended up going to the ER because I couldn't stop shaking. Even over two weeks after this I was still shaking, mostly in my arms, but they got less and less as bad until one day they just stopped.

Stress in general is a HUGE seizure trigger for me. If I get stressed out about something we pretty much just wait for the seizure to come because we know it's on the way.

Back
Top Bottom