Disturbing test...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

LJ-Bain

New
Reaction score
I have been subjected to many tests to determine whether or not my seizures are psychogenic or epileptic.
I understand this...
One I just learned about is whether or not a patient preserves their modesty.

I'll take a sternum rub over this one anytime.

This did happen to me on one trip to the hospital and it just makes me so sad.

After being subjected to painful stimuli and loud noises everything went really quiet, there was a pause and then they slowly cut my shirt and bra and waited for my response. They paused.
Then they raised my arms above my head and then I came around.

I was awake for all of this. I just couldn't move until that moment.

Everyone left the room. That's when just the nurse came back, patted me on the cheek, ripped out the tube from my nose and said, you're fine.

I just wanted to put this out there for anyone else subjected to this.

I had no idea at the time but there it is. I am just appalled and embarassed.

Is this too graphic or controversial? I just didn't know they could do things like this. But they can, and they do. I debated over whether or not I should post this.

On the one hand, hospitals and modesty don't really seem to co-exist...

On the other hand, it seems pretty extreme to me. That's one situation where it might be worth contacting the ER to find out if that's really standard procedure.

I don't think it's standard. Just for repeat customers that they can't figure out. I'm sure it's a situation where they think...well...we haven't tried this out yet!

Clarification please: Did this happen at the hospital, or did this happen in the ambulance on the way to the hospital?

First ambulance trip I'd ever had occurred after my first TC seizure.
Apparently I was having some difficulty breathing and my heartbeat was all over the place when they first arrived.

They cut my shirt right off so they'd have easier access if they needed to do anything related to assisting my heart or lungs if my heart stopped beating or I stopped breathing. Since it hadn't happened yet they did it as a precaution in case it did, so they'd have as little trouble as possible if they needed to do it. I stabilized shortly after they removed my shirt, so they never needed to do it, but I can understand the reason why they did. I imagine it's much easier to perform chest compression without a shirt in the way, which could make your hands slip or something.

Of course, I'm a guy so I don't really care if people see me without a shirt. I can see how, as a woman, that would be humiliating for you. :(

Also, I'm from America, so I don't know how things work for you up in Ontario, Canada.

The world of medicine doesn't have much modesty though...

This happened in the hospital. I had already had the sticky circles (what are they called?)placed on my chest already to monitor my heart rate and had the nasal tube placed in the ambulance.
This was done in the e.r. room and they had already placed an iv. and taken blood and started fluids.
It's only now looking back that I realize what they were doing. Plus the way I was treated afterwards.
I was recovering and no longer seizing, just unresponsive.

I wonder how they would test preserving modesty on a man without it being totally obvious?

Ah... okay that makes more sense. Our situations were not the same at all.

That does not sound like a standard test... :eek:
Would it be possible to contact them and ask for an explaination, as Nakamova suggested?
I wonder how they would test preserving modesty on a man without it being totally obvious?
Hahaha! :p

It's funny but I'm not angry at them doing the test. A little embarassed and sad that it had to be taken to that level.
I've been a difficult patient for them and they were just trying everything out.
It's just a surprising test.
Why couldn't they have just dropped my arm on my face and see if I let it hit my face?

They probably didn't do that so they wouldn't risk injuring you. :)

Between losing my shirt, or letting them whack me in the face with my own arm... they can take the shirt. :)

Ha ha ha! Good choice. Meanwhile afterwards I was thinking, oh damn. That was one of my favourite bras. But that's a girl thing for sure.

Have you thought about calling the hosp. and speaking to someone in Customer Serv.

I say this..because back in the spring I had to have a test done checking for blood clots..the whole experience was a nighmare..that was until I read yours.

Anyway I called the hosp. asked for cust. serv. and filed a complaint.

I rec.ed a letter of apology, a phone call to apologies and a few days later flowers were sent to me. I rec'ed another phone call a few days later and that tech. is no longer there. :twocents:

That IS a little disturbing... cutting a person's clothes off just to see if they preserve their own modesty?

The first time i had an ambulance called out for me i had nothing on (and i mean nothing) apart from a vest top. I was sooooooo embarrassed when i was told the next day >.<

On the bright side i'll probably never see those particular paramedics again. I just have to hope i never have a seizure in Northern Ireland again lol.

jyearta....it was embarassing and the nurses attitude was cheeky but I have been exposed to alot and at different hospitals. When they get frustrated and they think you are wasting their time they can get downright hostile.
My favourite is when they yell at you. Or take my mother aside and ask if my absolutely terrific husband has been abusing me...or told not to have more children.

This is what you are up against when you are labelled with a mental illness that you happen to not agree with or are open to finally but bad seizures occur and you feel you need help. Doctors are human and are not shy about venting their frustration. It is in their nature to help and fix you but when they can't and they feel it is you fabricating things it brings out the worst in some.
And they wonder why the diagnosis of pnes is not readily accepted?

It's flawed.

I'm past wanting apologies.

I'm glad they did apologize to you though! They do need to be kept in check. Wow! They even got rid of that tech!
I just don't want to fight that fight myself.

I do find it interesting that there are alot of naked stories associated with seizures out there! Poor Loopy Lou! I hope you can laugh at it now! It's not funny but I guess we can reassure ourselves that paramedics sure get to see alot of things and I bet that is probably not the worst they've seen!

I don't know if I understand why they did that... were they trying to prove that it was psychogenic by cutting off your clothes and seeing if you would snap out of it and cover yourself?

Doctors are human and are not shy about venting their frustration. It is in their nature to help and fix you but when they can't and they feel it is you fabricating things it brings out the worst in some.

Those who feel omnipotent can’t say I don’t know. It’s easier to mark the person as the problem than to diagnose the illness. There are wonderful doctors and there are arrogant ones. Although its seems that arrogance is a prerequisite. So sad :(

Hang in there and buy a bra that say F_ck Y_o :)

Thats down right rude of them! Ive had them take of my clothes to change me into gowns, but I was never concious during that, or during a catheter installation. I find that a very strange way of trying to snap someone out of a seizure or to diagnose as psychogenic.

they tried the hand/face drop on me at first and when I didnt hit my face they told chad that it was psychogenic. Then chad had to tell them to use my other arm because the one they used has metal pins and doesnt have the range of motion to fall on my face (grossly my elbow kind of bends down, not in. because I had a metal rod through my arm, and they had to rebuild the elbow area, and they did it crooked.) so when they used the other arm it was face slap

also, never wish for a sternum rub... they broke mine

Could someone please elaborate on what a "sternum rub" is?
I know what the sternum is, but I've never heard of someone "rubbing" it...

its when a paramedic or doctor rubs their knuckles hard on the sternum. Its to check for responsiveness, because it causes alot of pain. My paramedic actually essentially punched me in the sternum a few times.

Test it on yourself. rub your knuckles up and down on your sternum as hard as you can. it hurts...

Back
Top Bottom