DL renewal issues?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dignan

Stalwart
Reaction score
This is a loaded question I'm sure, but I was wondering if anyone who drives and has a drivers license and is controlled by meds or other methods ever still had difficulty when it came time to renew your drivers license?

I know here after a number of years you have to show up in person for a new photo. This time, I had to fill out a form too and it asked a bunch of questions about seizure history and stuff. Of course the questions were often contradictory, like one asked had you ever had any such problem, and immediately after is listed as an example that specified (within the last two years). So, I was wondering what do you want to know? If I've ever had a seizure or if I've had one the last two years?

I want to be honest, but questions like that and some others as well, made me think they don't even understand what they are asking, not to mention how many different types of seizures there are and how many people react differently. And, if they don't understand or can't phrase a question properly and clearly, how can we trust that they won't jump to conclusions and restrict us unnecessarily?

I'll likely say yes anyway, as I prefer to be honest rather than not, and I dont like to hide.

Wasn't sure if I said yes to the question if all of a sudden I'd have restrictions placed on me. So, I thought I'd get the opinions on this forum and if anyone had similar questions on their DL renewal forms in their states.

In Massachusetts, the DMV ruling specifies:
If a licensee has a medical condition which he or she believes may affect his or her ability to operate a motor vehicle, he or she must report such condition to the Registrar and refrain from operating a motor vehicle until the condition is resolved. There is no legal requirement for a physician or other interested party to report a possible unfit driver to the Registry of Motor Vehicles.
The spirit of the law is that you self-report if you think you represent a risk. So in that sense, if you don't believe you are a driving risk (because you have been seizure-free for at least two years, and your seizures are controlled by meds), then it might be okay to be a little less than forthcoming in answering the questions -- esp. if you think that answering honestly would cause unnecessary confusion and headaches for everyone concerned...

Our renewal form asks specific questions with check boxes for yes or no.

One question asks if you think you have a condition that affects your ability to operate a motor vehicle. It lists examples and includes seizures (within two years).

Then later on it flat out asks have you ever had a seizure, convulsion, or epilepsy? Again, a yes or no question.

On that one, I felt I had no choice but to say yes. I guess we'll see if it causes me any problems.

In IL you have to go seizure free for 6 months and have a nueroligist fill out a paper that you are not a danger to yourself or others before you can have your DL back.

I don't recall having to answer any medical questions on my license form here in VA. I know in New York, both you and your neurologist MUST fill out paperwork and submit it every six months. In VA, they use the honesty policy, and by that, I mean the neurologist is not obligated to report it. It's on you.

I hope everything sorts out for you!

I'm due to renew my license this month. I'll have to look at the papers to see. I know my neurologist hasn't reported any and I forgot to ask him when I was there on Monday about it.

In CA after a second seizure you get the E diagnosis. We/I did not drive and did not report after the 1st one (I voluntarily did not6 drive for 3 months). However in California the Dr must report it to the DMV after 2 seizures. She did and now I cannot drive for 3 months. The DMV sent me a letter of suspension. I hope to be able to drive again if I can make 3 months without a seizure.

I have absence seizures, and I drive.
I've had no problems renewing my licence, my doctor never said anything.
My latest tests are such that a non-expert can't tell.

In Maine I reported my stroke when I changed the name on my license. After that my doctor had to fill out a form. It was easy peasy. But I never lost awareness in that event. My understanding is that if I need medication it's a three month hiatus from driving, unless I have another seizure then the three months starts all over again. Not sure any of that helps...

I have absence seizures, and I drive.
I've had no problems renewing my licence, my doctor never said anything.
My latest tests are such that a non-expert can't tell.

When did you last have to do a renewal? I ask because I'm in Texas too, and the last time I did it, I don't recall answering any specific question.

My doc has never said anything either. He has allowed me to do the six months waiting period after a seizure. As long as I passed that and was stable on meds I went back to driving.

The new renewal form asks specifically about seizures. I pasted the text below.

For all Driver License Renewals complete MEDICAL questions 10 to 16.
Answers to the questions below are for the confidential use of the Department.
10. Do you currently have or have you ever been diagnosed with or treated for any medical condition that may affect your ability to safely operate a
motor vehicle?
Examples, including but not limited to: Diagnosis or treatment for heart trouble, stroke, hemorrhage or clots, high blood pressure, emphysema (within past two years)
 progressive eye disorder or injury (i.e., glaucoma, macular degeneration, etc.)  loss of normal use of hand, arm, foot or leg  blackouts, seizures, loss of consciousness or body control (within the past two years)  difficulty turning head from side to side  loss of muscular control  stiff joints or neck  inadequate hand/eye coordination  medical condition that affects your judgment  dizziness or balance problems  missing limbs
If you answered YES above, has your condition IMPROVED or DETERIORATED since your last application for an original/renewal remake of your driver license?

11. Within the past two years have you been diagnosed with, been hospitalized for or are you now receiving treatment for a psychiatric disorder?
12. Have you ever had an epileptic seizure, convulsion, loss of consciousness, or other seizure?
13. Do you have diabetes requiring treatment by insulin?
14. Do you have any alcohol or drug dependencies that may affect your ability to safely operate a motor vehicle or have you had any episodes
of alcohol or drug abuse within the past two years?
15. Within the past two years, have you been treated for any other serious medical conditions?
Explain:
16. Have you EVER been referred to the Texas Medical Advisory Board for Driver Licensing?

I have read it.
I think that if you are well controlled, your doctor hasn't reported you, I would volunteer anything.
Can you renew online? While I had to go in person this last time, the time before I renewed online.
Concerned about your general driving ability? I would chat with your doctor.
I usually drive short distances to work, or the grocery store.
I have driven from Florida to Austin with a friend. His mother became blind due to diabetes, and chose to give up drive.

BTW, I have absence seizures confirmed as a diagnosis. I have had simple partials, but in the privacy of my own home. That was when I was bullied at work by a self absorbed slob.

Ultimately, it is up to you. Do you feel comfortable with driving at all?

I feel perfectly fine with driving. Never been in a wreck, never had a problem in over 20 years of driving. That was never my issue as my seizures are well controlled.

I had to renew in person this time and fill out the new form. I didn't want to volunteer any info either (as these agencies are often woefully ignorant), but given how direct question number 12 was, I didn't feel like I could honestly say no to that question. So I said yes. The DMV person told me it would go into their database and they'd determine if I had to go to a medical review board.

I went ahead and got my paper temporary license and the new one is supposed to be in the mail. I guess I'll have to wait and see if being honest is going to cause me any problems or not.

On the whole, I'd rather they not ask at all. Its not their business. As long as my doctor and I have an understanding and are both comfortable with it, I don't see why we should have to self report to renew the license.

ouch, you self reported?

I did feel the new questions were intrusive.
I also realize that unless the doctor or other professional lets DPS know about certain health issues, it's none of their business.

No wrecks, no tickets, proper insurance, car properly maintained?
Unless you told them who your doctor is, the type and frequency of seizures, I don't see a problem.
There is no turning back, you will always have to report yourself, I think.

I did self report in that I answered yes to question 12. But, I did so, simply because I wanted to be honest and its a straight forward question.

They don't have any doc info, and haven't asked for any, and if I'd had more time to think about it (I didn't realize this was on the form till the day before I was going in) I may have just answered No and moved on.

It seems if your doc has to report you if there is a problem, then why should we have to answer these questions too?

Hopefully, it won't be a big deal, but we'll see.

I think that the question pertains to people who do not have control.
We'll see

Maybe.

But, my thinking was the first question was more about if you had control or not. The second question was "Have you ever had a seizure?" That seems pretty straight.

Of course, thats one reason why I didn't like the question because it doesn't take into any account the variety and individual circumstances that surround any type of seizure.

I renew in two years.

I still don't think I'm going to answer that one though.
It's intrusive, and like you said, it doesn't distinguish between absence -mine - vs tc - another seizure type, another person.

Just thought I'd give an update. They did send me my drivers license with no fanfare or restrictions. So, it all worked out positively.

Back
Top Bottom