dmannose or marshmallow root

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Emee

Stalwart
Reaction score
Has anyone tried either of these natural remedies? I need something for UTI & can't tolerate antibiotics. Thought I would try one of these but I've found herbs can cause me as much trouble as pharmaceuticals.

Anyone tried a natural remedy for bladder inf that worked? Can't use cranberry juice or vit c because of their acidity. thanks for help.

Could you try cranberry capsules? They can be taken with lots of water and aren't so hard on the stomach. Fresh blueberries can help too. Colloidal silver (available in health food stores) and garlic are both natural antibiotics that will help fight the infection and start the healing.

Remember to drink plenty of liquids (but avoiding caffeine, alcohol, sodas, etc.) to help flush the system. Dandelion tea if you can get it. Also celery, watermelon and parsley (they act as natural diuretics). And an Acidophilus supplement can help get your system back in balance.

Hope yuo feel better soon.

I used to take colloidial silver before discovering that it not only not help but can be harmful.

Between October 1993 and September 1994, the FDA issued warning letters to five colloidal silver marketers::

Higher Education Library Publications (H.E.L.P.), of Springfield, Utah, was ordered to stop claiming that its colloidal silver product was effective as a natural antibiotic and might be effective against cancer, genito-urinary diseases, tuberculosis, and AIDS.
Colloidal Silver: Risk Without Benefit

It also builds up in peoples systems with bad effects
In animals and humans, silver accumulates in the body.[9]:121 Chronic intake of silver products can result in an accumulation of silver or silver sulfide particles in the skin. These particles in the skin darken with exposure to sunlight, resulting in a blue or gray discoloration of the skin known as argyria.[7] Localized argyria can occur as a result of topical use of silver-containing solutions, while generalized argyria results from the ingestion of such substances.[36]

Argyria is generally irreversible, with the only practical method of minimizing its cosmetic disfigurement being to avoid the sun.[37] Preliminary reports of treatment with laser therapy have been reported. These laser treatments are painful and general anesthesia is required.[38][39] A similar laser treatment has been used to clear silver particles from the eye, a condition related to argyria called argyrosis.[40] The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) describes argyria as a "cosmetic problem".[41]

While argyria is usually limited to skin discoloration, there are isolated reports of more serious neurologic, renal, or hepatic complications caused by ingesting colloidal silver.[36][42]

Colloidal silver may interact with some prescription medications, reducing the absorption of some antibiotics and thyroxine among others.[43]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_uses_of_silver#Adverse_effects

Thanks for this Eric -- I hadn't realized that the overwhelming "evidence" for colloidal silver is anecdotal. There are studies evaluating the anti-microbial and antifungal properties of silver nanoparticles -- and they are promising -- but there have been no studies in humans.

You're welcome Nak.

As far as I know all the anti-microbial & anti-fungal tests so far have been topical as well as preliminary.

What I found the most intimidating was how it turned someone who ingested it blue because of how it built up in his body. I thought his story and/or his vid had been posted before on CWE but I couldn't find it.

Last edited:
I have tried d-mannose, I found it extremely difficult to digest because it is a sugar. I was bloated and honestly looked 4 months pregnant.
The only antibiotic that I can tolerate is macro bid since I am allergic to Cipro and Sulfa.
Also, Marshmallow root could possibly bind to any AED's in your body that you might not want it to.
I find that EPILERIC is the best person to speak to on these matters. I found out the hard way by taking GINKO which is an absolute NO NO for the seizure patient......

Dear Endless,
Thank you so much for posting that link.
Sometimes I forget that I am not for lack of a better word "normal" I am often my own worst enemy.
I am working on the Self Compassion piece of the puzzle.

Thanks Endless, I am saving this info for future reference & I won't be asking so many questions.

Oh, please, DO ask lots of questions! It's how everyone in here shares information and learns from one another. Just speaking for myself, I've learned tons from my fellow members.

In all honesty....

Because without it we have nothing....

I have not felt as understood as I do when I am on this site.
We are all engaged in a battle, and how totally awesome and amazing is it that we get so much love, support and understanding for the most part from people we have and will never see.
It is kind of like we all speak the same language.

:clap: to everybody.

Back
Top Bottom