Do AEDs make you sensitive to the sun?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I went out in the sun for a bit today, with a little sunscreen on. It wasn't that hot but I have burnt ridiculously and me and my mum were wondering if AEDs can make you more sensitive to the sunlight and the UV rays? Might be a stupid question, we just wondered if it was possible

Elly,

Not a stupid question at all. As a matter of fact, some AED's do make some folks more sensitive to the sunlight. And some can cause a rash, too, so be careful.

I am sun-sensitive, due to tegretol it would seem. I switched pharmacies, and this new one automatically provides written information about side effects and this was one of them. So ask your pharmacist; they are an excellent source of information for this sort of thing.

Yes Tegretol is the worse. You can not take it with orange or grapefruit juice as it intensifies the effect. I am not light skinned but I always use a high spf sunscreen just for that reason. Oh yeah I also wear a hat to cover certain spots on my head :)

My Topamax causes burns and a rash in the sun. It also keeps me from sweating so I overheat quickly. It was 112 here today...not nice!!

Thank you for your answers! It's gonna be a hot one in the UK today so lots of sunscreen for me while I wait to go into the London Dungeons!

Very true, if I am in the sun to long, i can be sick the rest of the day, plus i get weird rashes. just be mindful when outside for a long time.

Lamictal makes me more sensitive to the sun, both my skin and my eyes. So I wear sunglasses everywhere I go, and sunscreen if I'm going to be out and about for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom