Do any of you take seizure medicine and calcium supplements?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mhugh200

New
Reaction score
I keep reading about how Zonisamide lowers the calcium level. One doctor has expressed fear of the two binding. A nutritionist has said it's fine as long as they are taken a few hours apart. Are any of you taking these two and how is it working out for you? Have you had seizures since doing so?

I was on Zonisamide for only 6 months. I did NOT have a good reaction to it, and ended up having a big ol' seizure on it. (Make sure your doc has told you about metabolic acidosis and tested your serum bicarb). I can't remember if the multivitamin I took contained calcium. I do remember that vitamins were especially hard to take because Zonisamide gave me bad stomach pains and appetite issues.

Zonisamide does act a bit like a calcium channel blocker, so theoretically a calcium supplement could lower it's effectiveness. But your nutritionist is correct -- as long as the calcium supplement isn't massive (and anything higher than 500-600mg won't get absorbed anyway) and is taken a few hours after the Zonisamide, you should be fine.

Also, stay away from grapefruit juice -- it can interfere with Zonisamide absorption/metabolism.

Back
Top Bottom