Do drop seizures always make a person fall?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CathyAnn31

Big Smile
Reaction score
A few Christmas's ago I was walking into my kitchen when my right leg wanted to give out, like a quick shooting pain. Lasted maybe 1 second and I was able to keep my balance. Fast forward to yesterday when it happened again. And just an hour ago.

I looked up sciatica and that doesn't appear to be what this is. Any ideas?

All the drop seizures I've had caused complete collapse, but I have no idea if they can happen in just one part of the body. I've only ever read about the falls. My assumption has always been that the loss of muscle tone is throughout the entire body. ETA: I missed the part about the shooting pain--I haven't experienced pain with a drop seizure.

Last edited:
Where does the pain occur? At the hip, or at the knee?

At the hip.

It's weird, and something that never happened until my diagnosis/meds.

I realize this is over a year since your post, but just wanted to comment that I had this happen to one of my legs at times when walking or standing. There was no pain to trigger it, though, but like you it wouldn't cause me to fall. It was considered to be a myoclonic jerk in my case. My leg didn't ever feel like it really "jumped" like my arms or shoulders would, or like my legs would when in bed or sitting - something to do with weight being on my legs perhaps, I'm not sure.

Now that your thread's been resurrected, CathyAnne, what became of that hip problem?

I've only ever had one possible drop seizure, The jury's still out as far as I'm concerned but it was seriously bizarre. One moment I was running for a train, the next, every last muscle in my body quit and I was on my face on the pavement (with my favourite jeans wrecked :( ). Doctor said it was a drop seizure but later, my cardiologist and I somehow got to talking about running on beta-blockers and he was surprised nobody had told me that was a no-no. He reckons the drop was just because my heart can't speed up to support a running body, so my muscles gave in. I'm more prone to believing that theory.

CathyAnn
you've just taught me something and I'm Beta blockers.

Back
Top Bottom