Do many of us have seizures in our sleep?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mspang

Stalwart
Reaction score
I've had epilepsy since 1993 and for the last few years I've only been having seizures while sleeping. What sucks is on occasion i'll get up out of bed totally unaware of what i'm doing. Like this morning I ended up yelling at my mother then locked my bedroom door. Then went back to bed. One of the worst seizures i've had in a long time. :(

mspang

I have nocturnal seizures as well, always had them but lately I find there is a new seizure. I get a second seizure about 30 minuets after getting up, no warning, nothing just hit the ground.

Mine have always been 99% of the time in sleep only. To my knowledge they have only been partials (simple and complex).

Fedup

Sorry to hear what you've been having to go
through with seizures. Hope things will improve asap!

masterjen
Has anything ever bad happen after having a seizure while sleeping?

-mspang

If it's a convulsive seizure, it can do damage similar to what might happen during a daytime one -- injuries, muscle soreness, tongue-biting, etc.

If it's a partial seizure, it depends a bit what variety you experience. For instance, some people sleepwalk during complex partials.

For any kind of nighttime seizure, at the very least you're going to end up a bit tired since your sleep has been interrupted.

mspang

Thank you I hope things get better as well, Its no fun having a seizure. I have split my forehead I think this was one of the first things I did.

Nakamova

Thank you for your tips, the muscle soreness is the worst I think although the headache is up there as well. I can live with the rest or could any way.

Mine are 100% nocturnal but I have had some embarrassing episodes of sleep walking while still post-ictal. I get the full tonic-clonic complete with the sore muscles, munched tongue, headache and general dazed and confused mental state the next day.

mspang

I have nocturnal seizures as well, always had them but lately I find there is a new seizure. I get a second seizure about 30 minuets after getting up, no warning, nothing just hit the ground.

I'm not sure if I have nocturnal seizures or not but I had a few seizures sort of like this over the last year.

The last one I got up at 7 to feed the cats and took my meds. I remember doing this. I always get in bed after and sleep till about nine. When I woke up at 9 I was in bed but my slippers and robe were in the living room. I must have laid down on the couch and fell asleep/had the seizure then got back in bed without knowing I did any of this.

I wake up to mine, or they cut my sleep short sometimes. For the last several years, my bedroom has been very dry during winters. One thing seems to be consistent, when I wake to a seizure, my eyes are normally bone dry. Forgot to keep the humidifier on last night and yup, woke to a more vigorous than normal vibrations.

Haven't made it through a summer yet, as my epileptic activity with regularity has only started since this September.

There is an essay by Hippocrates, "the sacred disease" where he mentions that people who are kept dry but moist, stand a better chance of recovery. Humid is the word he uses several times.

http://classics.mit.edu/Hippocrates/sacred.html

"But whoever is acquainted with such a change in men, and can render a man humid and dry, hot and cold by regimen, could also cure this disease, if he recognizes the proper season for administering his remedies, without minding purifications, spells, and all other illiberal practices of a like kind. "

So, maybe when the warm weather rolls around I'll try shocking myself with cold showers or something?

Last edited:
Mine are nocturnal partials that happen during sleep but they turn into TCs unless I stay in bed. One was severe enough that it caused atrial fibrillation and a hospital stay.

It's good in that I know where I will be when they happen, but very scary that they can be either mild or severe.

Fedup

Sorry to hear what you've been having to go
through with seizures. Hope things will improve asap!

masterjen
Has anything ever bad happen after having a seizure while sleeping?

-mspang

Nothing bad has ever happened. Just fatigue, headache, tingling, etc. the next day.

Interesting that we should be talking about this now. I just mentioned in a previous post that lately I have waken, when I do sleep, to feeling like I've been run over. I know I'm tossing and turning all night long, this with 5mg. lorezepam.
Am trying to decide if I should call gp or neuro.
I don't think I'm wandering during the night because everything is as it should be when I awaken. But I feel that something is going on with my body.
M

I get them in the daytime, but my nocturnal ones have a psuedo-ecstatic nature sometimes. Just as I am falling asleep, I sometimes feel this oneness with my own existence. I see myself, spiritually not physically, outside of myself, and think to myself how I really am. How I really exist! It is brief, but enough to be a displeasure. I will think perhaps on something stupid (or I feel was stupid, wrongly perhaps) I said or did recently and see myself outside myself. But then there is sometimes this feeling of fear or apprehension, and I have these thoughts on the reality of death and sin. It is like I am between heaven and hell, life and death or something. It is hell rather than heaven. They occur just before sleep. They are a sort of night terror, but sometimes they involve something mystical.

Other times I wake up screaming, jumping out of bed because I see a spider that is not there. I have also seen a demonic figure in the mirror

Once I sleepwalked before a gran mal. I went to put the dog out and walked pretty much around the block, stumbling. I was not conscious enough to feel the pain, and I suppose I thought I was in a dream or something. I came back, crapped on myself, lay there in my crap and then seized.

Almost all grand-mal seizures since a week after my son was born 14 years ago have been in my sleep. Before that that they were during the day. I don't know what having my son had to change this.

When I was a child i had seizures in my sleep, we didn't know that they were seizure's though, we all thought I was having a bad dream, and I would "bang my head" (my arms would be folded underneath my pillow) and i would repeatedly hit my head on my forearms in the middle of the night and wake everyone up, but myself of course.

Thank goodness for my using the pillow, otherwise I'm sure child services would have been called many times throughout my childhood!

I still have them at night, but now i end up waking up in a puddle. I'd rather have my seizure's from childhood at night. No mess to deal with!

My epileptic activity is basically vibrations, and they are triggered by sleep, as in when I rest and begin to fall asleep and relax they start to set in. Some days it's terrifying to go to sleep because I have no idea how my body might be reacting during sleep, but generally I wake up without a headache, and my cognitive performance is okay, so I don't worry about it too much. It does upset me that I wake up to seizures rather often, but, oh well...

Whoops, I already posted here... sorry...

When I was a child i had seizures in my sleep, we didn't know that they were seizure's though, we all thought I was having a bad dream, and I would "bang my head" (my arms would be folded underneath my pillow) and i would repeatedly hit my head on my forearms in the middle of the night and wake everyone up, but myself of course.

Thank goodness for my using the pillow, otherwise I'm sure child services would have been called many times throughout my childhood!

I still have them at night, but now i end up waking up in a puddle. I'd rather have my seizure's from childhood at night. No mess to deal with!

I had some seizure dreams it seems a few weeks ago. Not about having seizures. But I would wake up between the dreams with a strange smell and feeling. Of my own existence I think. Then the same dream continued. It was weird. Anyone else had stuff happen of this nature?

Back
Top Bottom