Do many of us have seizures in our sleep?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Do any of you feel confused or distressed or disorientated with sleep seizures?? ..after seizure..the reason I wish to know is that despite my Daughter sleeping through the night ok, there's some mornings I see her & she's looks quite disoriented at times ?? Has had a recent seizure?

Do any of you feel confused or distressed or disorientated with sleep seizures?? ..after seizure..the reason I wish to know is that despite my Daughter sleeping through the night ok, there's some mornings I see her & she's looks quite disoriented at times ?? Has had a recent seizure?
Quite possibly yes. It's called "dazed and confused". I know that state well. Not sure how old your daughter is (able to verbalize what is going on, how she is feeling?)

My seizures

are strictly nocturnal now. they used to be during the daytime, but the pattern changed for some unknown reason around the time I turned 30. I won't argue with it, but they have developed from 2 types into 4 types now, which is the disadvantage.

Originally as a 13 month old child my mother took me into the doctor sure "something was wrong with her" but couldn't say what. He flashed a penlight in my eyes, and I had my first tonic clonic in his office. I was promptly placed on Dilantin and phenobarbital. Myoclonics showed up in my early 20s.

around the time I turned 30, my seizure pattern started to change....and my meds stopped working properly. Depakote became one of the drugs of choice (ughhhhhhh) and that had to be changed after a few months. Suddenly a new seizure showed up in my sleep when I was having a sleep test...a rare form of nocturnal frontal lobe seizures. Medication change again, just to verify that the new seizure wasn't a fluke....and no, it wasn't...and guess what? Another rare form of seizure......one that is only seen in elderly people who are in a coma and babies who are premature??? Harumph.

How annoyed was I. I went on an absolute and total rant. I mean, really?? :roflmao::roflmao:

Doc setup a 5 day EEG that was continuous....I wore that stupid thing wherever I went for 5 days. There verification was there. And ever since then the seizures have been nocturnal, with no sign of ever changing.

I would rather have the myoclonics out of the bunch, as they are the least energy draining. The frontal lobe are next, and can be a bit terrifying sometimes. The newest ones leave me drained of energy for 24 hours....and the tonic clonics...I am done for days. I can't even talk for a couple weeks. (I bit clear through my tongue on both sides).

I have gotten up in the middle of one in the night and stuck my head between the toilet and the bathtub...there was only 6 inches there. And I was the one who got my head out....

Pretty sad what seizures can do! And here I thought mine were bad. :(

Hope everyone is okay or doing better!

Thanks for all additional replies!

I usually always take a name in the afternoon. In the last few days I've had some sleep seizures. I didn't know that I'd had them at all until I woke up and my husband told me. I just thought I'd slept for a few hours. My husband said he looked over at me and I was just laying there with my eyes wide open. He also said I started shaking some too. I came out of the seizure then fell right back asleep.

A good bit of times when I have seizures that I'm awake during I will just stare off into nowhere too and be unresponsive to anything going on.

How old is your daughter? In general, epilepsy related or not, it takes me a little while to wake up in the morning. This morning my husband was afraid that I was having a seizure when I got up. I think it was just because we were in a rush to get out of the house and I didn't get a chance to wake up yet. I was ok after about 15 minutes, about my normal completely wake up time. Since I've started having seizures in my sleep it is possible that I'd had one and it could have had something to do with it.

Thanks for all feedback, it's appreciated.
I'm trying to find out various experiences expressed as I have a nonverbal child with Autism...sometimes there's experiences expressed by forum members that helps me understand what my Daughter goes through at times.

She's my jigsaw puzzle that never ends.
:-(

Doc setup a 5 day EEG that was continuous....I wore that stupid thing wherever I went for 5 days. There verification was there. And ever since then the seizures have been nocturnal, with no sign of ever changing.

How bad was it wearing that thing? Were you able to take a shower? I have a feeling that I'm going to end up with one for a few days.

Mmmhm, I've done some crazy stuff at night, as my seizure-self. Beside the tonic-clonics, I've wandered around doing odd things like opening and closing closets and drawers, rearranging the kitchen (woke up the next morning and all of the dishes were on the counter and table), hide things, and once woke up half dressed with my keys in hand. Meds have controlled those episodes, but I still wake to the smells and auditory hallucinations of simple partials.

Last night was the first time I have ever had activity while sleeping. I woke myself up cursing and noticed my left arm was in the air and suddenly i sat up without even trying. When I laid back down I had pain in my wrist, and I recall rubbing it very hard. I fell back asleep right after.

Now I have an idea of what brought this on.... Yesterday I had walked/ran 2 miles with the family. This was the first time I had done this in a long time. Just a couple years ago I had myself running an eight minute mile, but had let myself slip into mush. I was very exhausted and fatigued, and I think this must have been what triggered it. Still it makes me wonder why I would have this happening in my sleep and not right after we got home while I was all worked up.

You mean a nap? The reason I ask is I do this sort of thing all the time, and I think it has to do with the damage or problems in the temporal lobe, which deals with language I believe.

Yea I meant nap. Sometimes I get typing fast and don't realize what I've typed. Thanks.

Yea I meant nap. Sometimes I get typing fast and don't realize what I've typed. Thanks.

Yes, typing fast and normal typo sort of thing could be it, but do you get words confused often when writing? Like unconsciously put one word when you mean another? I do, and I think it has to do with the epilepsy. For you, it could just be the normal error everyone makes from time to time, but I just wondered.

I sure do. In my case it's because of a Simple Partial Seizure. I often have them at night.

Thanks for feedback.
I'm sure there's ocassional seizure activity that evidently missed throughout the night.
Fortunately she hasn't hurt herself.
..a relief for me .

I didn't realise I was having them in my sleep until I slept in a friends room and she said I opened my eyes wide and started chewing. We laughed it off as weird until I started having them in the daytime too!

Meetz--Mine have been the same--they used to be all daytime, and switched to all nocturnal. I had a couple of bad seizure control years after a car accident when I was having partials and myoclonics both day and night, but they have settled down to being nocturnal only for the most part, a total pattern shift. I get it for those who have said it's better to not have tonics and only have partials or myoclonics--but if you have them night after night throughout the night, it's no picnic either. It basically means no deep sleep for consecutive nights, a total quality of life killer. All night myoclonics is also like exercising all night instead of sleeping, so pretty tiring. Either way, it's no good time for any of us :)

Meetz-- I get it for those who have said it's better to not have tonics and only have partials or myoclonics--but if you have them night after night throughout the night, it's no picnic either. It basically means no deep sleep for consecutive nights, a total quality of life killer. All night myoclonics is also like exercising all night instead of sleeping, so pretty tiring. Either way, it's no good time for any of us :)

I also can have consecutive nights of seizure activity, both myoclonic and tonic in one night. It is exactly like doing a work-out in your sleep, and as you noted the amount of deep sleep is lessened. So while have a seizure in bed is of course much safer than having a seizure when up and about, the after-effects of fatigue, headache, slower thinking processes, etc. are the same.

All of my seizures (tonic clonic) have been nocturnal. I have had one absent seizure while awake (that I know of). When I am sleeping with someone they usually tell me when I come to about my tonics. When I am by myself I'll wake up on the floor in a pool of blood cause I bit through my tongue and lips. The last episode I had I was alone with my son. It was his first time seeing me seize up. He called 911, cause he got really scared, and I woke up in the ambulance and hospital. I'm so proud of my son!

It took me close to 2 weeks to get somewhat back to normal. It sux!

Back
Top Bottom