Do not ignore auras!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Duke

New
Reaction score
I had a dentist appt. today for 2 fillings. Temp outside was about 40 degree,I went in sat down and had what I think is the smallest aura & it went away so fast I shook it off as a cold chill from 40 degree temps outside.
15 min. later I'm in the dentist chair laid back getting my teeth numbed with a needle . He pulls the needle out walks out of the room and I break out into a siezure right there in the chair. A couple of minutes later the detist would have had a drill in my mouth fixing a cavity. Theres no telling what kind of damage that drill could have done.

But to stop siezurs when they happen like this my wife will give me my 20mg shot of Diastat and that gets the Siezure under control within 7 to 10 min.,and these usualy last up to half hr.
So do not ignore any aura, however small it might be, and get to a safe enviorment.

Duke

Auras I don't ignore.
Sometime I'm able to talk myself out a seizure by just saying Im not going to have a seizure.But this doesn't always work.
Belinda

I didn't think it was possible to mentally keep a seizure from happening by will power.

I have gotten through partial seizures by telling myself it is a seizure (at least the ones where I am aware but unable to interact with anyone/anything) but can't stop the seizure.

If there is a way to mentally stop a seizure I'd like to know how. As far as I know to do it, I always get auras first. But then, I don't always remember having a complex partial, so I can't be sure.

I don't ignore auras. Sometimes I don't get a aura before a seizure happens.

What is DIASTAT???

I had a dentist appt. today for 2 fillings. Temp outside was about 40 degree,I went in sat down and had what I think is the smallest aura & it went away so fast I shook it off as a cold chill from 40 degree temps outside.
15 min. later I'm in the dentist chair laid back getting my teeth numbed with a needle . He pulls the needle out walks out of the room and I break out into a siezure right there in the chair. A couple of minutes later the detist would have had a drill in my mouth fixing a cavity. Theres no telling what kind of damage that drill could have done.

But to stop siezurs when they happen like this my wife will give me my 20mg shot of Diastat and that gets the Siezure under control within 7 to 10 min.,and these usualy last up to half hr.
So do not ignore any aura, however small it might be, and get to a safe enviorment.

Duke

Trying to learn - what is DIASTAT???

I know drs have given me some sort of drug to stop seizures but I forget what it is.

Diastat is a rectaly injected shot with plastic aplicator. You take the rectal tip lubricate it wit the lubricating jelly . Turn person on side, seperate buttocks to expose rectum. Gently insrt syringe tip into rectum, count 3 while gently pushing til' plunger stops. Count 3 before removing. Slowly count to 3 while holding buttocks together to prevent leakage.

These shots are used rectaly because there are alot of blood vesles in the rectum and that is the second fastest way to get this medicaction in the blood stream. We can't go around with a needle filled with Ativan, thres no telling where we would stick our selves
It may sound like a discusting way to take AED's, but these Diastat shots work. Mine are 20mg , but your DR. will set it by your weight. I hope this description helps.Yuo can also go to this web site www.diastatacudial.com for more info.

Duke

A lot parents have it for there children. I have it for my son. It will stop the seizure and make ya sleep for a long while.

Ativan

Sometimes, at the ER, I am given ATIVAN to stop seizures. How does that work?

I have it as needed for seizures like when I feel one coming on, or for myoclonic flurries at night.It's Lorazepam. It works quickly. Valium is the strongest, then Ativan, then broken down it's lorazepam.Some people will say it's the same , but it is not. Valium and Ativan work the best. I am on .05 mlg of Lor. 3 every night. It works fast and knocks you out fast.

I take 1 mg of Klonapin 3 x day, is that in that same group? It is for seizures and for anxiety.

All the drugs you have posted all belong in the
benzodiazepine family aka Benzos; and they function
differently in varying degrees depending on the GABA
neurotransmitter and receptors. Of note, because my
deceased father was a Pharmacist for many years, of
high rank; I have knowledge in this area and can state
this:

Benzodiazepines are potent anti-epileptic drug that has
a life-saving properties during stages of status epilepticus,
aka SE, which are often used in the ER.

The most commonly-used benzodiazepines for seizure
control are lorazepam and diazepam. A meta-analysis
clinical trials concluded that lorazepam was superior to
diazepam in treating persistent seizures. Although diazepam
is much longer-acting than lorazepam, lorazepam has a
more prolonged anticonvulsant effect. This is because
diazepam is very lipid-soluble and highly protein-bound,
and has a very large distribution of unbound drug, resulting
in diazepam's having only a 20– to 30-minute duration of
action against status epilepticus. Lorazepam, however, has
a much smaller volume of distribution of unbound drug,
which results in a more prolonged duration of action
against status epilepticus. Lorazepam can therefore be
considered superior to diazepam, at least in the initial
stages of treatment of status epilepticus.

Note:

Diazepam is also know as: Valium
Lorazepam is also known as: Ativan

----------------------------------------

Clonazepam is also known as: Klonopin
Diazepam is also known as believe it or not: Diastat
(if in Rectal Dosage)

I didn't think it was possible to mentally keep a seizure from happening by will power.

I have gotten through partial seizures by telling myself it is a seizure (at least the ones where I am aware but unable to interact with anyone/anything) but can't stop the seizure.

If there is a way to mentally stop a seizure I'd like to know how. As far as I know to do it, I always get auras first. But then, I don't always remember having a complex partial, so I can't be sure.
spinmommy,
I use what called Biofeed back.
And you can mentally talk yourself out of a seizure I'm living proof of it =.
It doesn't always work with me but it's working a lot more than it use to.
Belinda

Spinmommy,
My VNS doc epileptologist says that some people are able to talk themselves out of seizures.And if anyone knows I guess he should know.
I talked with his nurse today and poised the question to her and she ask him.
But I always knew I was able to do it sometimes.
Belinda:e::twocents::agree:

Yes, I have to agree about not ignoring auras. I did that too often thinking that I would be OK, then WHAM! Once, if I had heeded the warning of several auras, I could have been at home when the TC hit. Instead, I was in public and bruised my ribs on a wood tent stake at a festival.

Dumb, dumb, dumb ... I regretted that one.

:taz:

:paperbag: <--- this is me from the past which had ignored auras

I can talk myself out of seizures sometimes. Or put them off until I am in a safe place.I taught that to myself growing up. And after having a child it just didn't seem convenient. It doesn't work all the time.

I never had any recognisable auras preceeding a seizure. Definitely don't ignore an aura if you are lucky enough to have one - I know it may not seem lucky but if it's able to prevent physical injury then I guess it is in some way. I hope I don't offend.

No offense taken here Trinity. I agree that the auras (even though a type of seizure themselves) are a great warning sign for tonic clonics in my case. They are also an early warning sign that my med levels may be out of wack.

Yeah, I know they are considered simple partial seizures in themselves and I think????? I may have experienced some myself over the years but never knew what they were. I didn't think it was E related. I've never had anything though that i've ever recognised at the time or even now in hindsight that preceded a tonic clonic which is the type of seizures I always had (like I said I think I may have had simple partials but of that i'm not certain and maybe myoclonic jerks). When I see my neurologist in January I am going to have a long list of things to talk about.

Back
Top Bottom