Do not ignore auras!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I am lucky to have auras and I really pay attention to them a lot now. I used to just forget about it and think of something else but it usually would come back "to get me". Mine start with the sound in the room condensing into the center close to me, then I usually notice a strange smell of bleach burnt which i don't know how i know what the smells like since Ive never been around it hehe. My guide dog was trained for seizure work and he usualy gets agitated and he will bother me as if to tell me "something is wrong Mommy". I usually get off balance and I tend to get really quiet. My interpreter asked me once what was going on and I said "I'm being really quiet, maybe it will go away" and of course the seizure happened anyways. But for some weird reason I feel that if i stay real still it will pass by me. I have complex partial seizures and you can do things and not really know it or remember it- so i try to get myself to lay down or sit up against something just in case I loose my strength or ability to stay upwards. My dog just sits almost on me if i sit on the floor and he is really still and doesnt act like his usualy self. My interpreters were also able to tell seizures before me by my appearance as in making a face or looking pale- or if my doggie gets up a lot and disobeys simple commands while "working". Anyways, I appreciate my auras but hate when they come because I know what they will feel like. It gives me 2 minutes or less to find a good place to hide out hehe. Sometimes my seizures start up with almost no warning at all even though they are all complex partials- kindas worries me sometimes.. but I try not to let it bother me too much.. :) Take care everyone..

Sometimes, at the ER, I am given ATIVAN to stop seizures. How does that work?

I got the same thing after mine.

I also have pills of it here at home to take after I have one (partial). They don't always work, unless you count knocking me out in like an hour :)

Crystal,
I know what you mean by getting that "bleach" smell; I smell ammonia from time to time as an aura, and I don't have any in the house!
I too get quiet before a seizure, sometimes for as much as 8 or 10 hours before one. My hubby knows that when I'm super uncommuncative, that I'm seizure-bound.

Sometimes I have auras and sometimes I do not. My aura's are feeling funny

Hi stilldancing

That is a catchy name. When your ears tic, I wish mine were that easy. By the time I feel funny in the head, I go right into a seizure. Or is it that easy?

whats an aura? :huh:

aura /au·ra/ (aw´rah) pl. auras or au´rae [L.] a subjective sensation or motor phenomenon that precedes and marks the onset of a neurological condition, particularly an epileptic seizure (epileptic a.) or migraine (migraine a.) .
epileptic aura: a type of simple partial seizure, experienced as a subjective sensation or motor phenomenon, that sometimes signals an approaching generalized or complex partial seizure.

http://medical-dictionary.tfd.com/aura

Back
Top Bottom