Do people get Charged for Emergency services if have Tonic clonic Seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Before you move out of state, you had better find out how much OC is going to cost you. It has been on the news that people have had to pay more for OC than the plan that they were on.

It's true they cannot turn you down because of your health. They sure can make you pay a lot more than what you expect.

I assume you are thinking of moving because of the drought. I sure want to move out of CA, but our insurance is in CA. So we cannot move, plus we have a house.

We are considering move for several reasons - retirement and associated cost of living considerations, taxes here, gun laws here (we both enjoy target shooting) and other issues that come up in the Bay Area that we're really not happy with. We've been through droughts and earthquakes, no big deal, we're well prepped. We do own a house so that is also a consideration. On the flip side, I've got an irreplaceable career here so as long as I can hold down this job we can't move, and I do enjoy my job so would like to make it 5 1/2 more years to proper retirement. And I know what you mean about OC, that's why I want to avoid dealing with it. I'm really hoping Kaiser expands their state presence so I could just transfer current coverage. We'll see. A lot can change over that many years.

We've been through droughts and earthquakes, no big deal, we're well prepped.

Hi BlueCat, I am 71 years old. I have lived about 69 years here in CA.

This is the worse drought that CA has had since before I was born. I know you must be watching the news about the drought. The lakes and dams are only half full throughout the whole state. It is in the 80's all ready where I live in the Central VAlley. They mentioned that we will be without water by June or July.

There was not enough snow this winter to fill up our lakes and streams or anything else. Were you living here in 1989? That was a huge earthquake, 7.1. The Cypress Freeway completely collapsed in San Francisco. The Bay Bridge had a crack in it. The Bay Bridge has rust on it now. That earthquake weakened the Golden Gate Bridge.

It was so bad that a friend of mine died in Santa Cruz from that earthquake. He was inside a building that collapsed. He did not have a chance to get out.

Sorry for rambling on, just put my :twocents: in.

I understand what your saying Ruth, and wasn't trying to minimize it - yes I was here in 89. I had just made it from SF to Oakland on BART. My husband was on every road that was destroyed that day, but thankfully was already home when it happened. I was also here during the Oakland Hills fire, and had friends lose everything they had. And yes the drought is horrid - we do have drought resistant landscaping so from that extent we're not in dire straits. All I was getting at is that the natural disasters are not the reason for us contemplating moving. Anywhere you go there are natural disasters. My parents lived not that far from Mt. St. Helens when it blew. I've had friends in hurricanes, tornadoes etc. That's a planet for you. I was born in CA and have been here the majority of my life. I'm 54 now. So no, you misread what I meant. Our focus is not on those types of things, it is on more practical reasons (money wise).

I've refused all ambulance rides I've been offered. (that has been a total of two. one car accident and one T/C) Yes, you (or insurance) will pay for the ride. The one thing about my medical bills, I never pay them in full. As long as I pay each month, the health provider cannot fore me to pay more or attack my credit. I have maintained a good credit score by paying minimum of one dollar a month to the hospital.

Hi BlueCat, I know you were not thinking the disaters as nothing, or little. Please excuse my grammar and wording, my other health problem is starting to act up.

That same day was the World Series of Baseball. The Oakland A's vs San Francisco Giants, were you at the baseball game?

I am so glad that your husband was not hurt on the freeways. So many people were killed on the Cypress Freeway.

My husband was at work as a Chimney Sweep. He started to climb onto a roof when the earthquake started. The homeowner screamed at my husband, "You're making my house fall down." My husband got off of the roof and told her, calmly, "I cannot make a house fall down, we are having an earthquake." He calmed her down, she had just moved to CA.

My husband left and came home right away. He was fine. I was so thankful that the earthquake did not cause him to fall off of the roof.

Yes, there are disasters everywhere today. You cannot move without encountering another type of disaster.

The price of everything is also going up across the USA. The Central Valley has been known as ""the bread basked of the world." It will not be this year.

I was born in SF as well. Sorry for rambling on.

Last edited:
No worries, not rambling. No wasn't at the game - but got to leave work early to avoid the rush out of downtown. I was in the parking lot at the Coliseum station and thought someone had hit my car. The person across from me looked like they felt the same, then we both looked up and saw the light poles waving back and forth. Didn't think it was as big as it was, couldn't get any local stations. Got home and no TV, power or phones. I'm glad your husband wasn't hurt, that's a little scary being up on a roof like that.

Reading threads like this makes me so incredibly grateful to live in Canada. Fortunately this is not something i ever have to worry about here. if my daughter needs to go to the hospital after a seizure, we just go. If we need an ambulance, we call one. None of it costs us a single penny.

As long as I pay each month, the health provider cannot fore me to pay more or attack my credit. I have maintained a good credit score by paying minimum of one dollar a month to the hospital.

That's not true. They can, and will, send you to collections for not paying in full unless you have an agreed upon payment plan. It may be different in some states. It's always best to talk to a financial counselor.

My dad who is an emergency services dispatcher says that in many places, emergency services knows damn well they won't get paid for ambulance rides and are willing to forget about it.

Reading threads like this makes me so incredibly grateful to live in Canada. Fortunately this is not something i ever have to worry about here. if my daughter needs to go to the hospital after a seizure, we just go. If we need an ambulance, we call one. None of it costs us a single penny.

Hi chmmr, Do you have to pay taxes in Canada for health?

I live in CA and the amount each hospital charges differs from hospital to hospital. I have been in a lot of different hospitals in CA.

I have never needed a financial counselor in my life. Hospitals are willing to discuss it with you. Financial counselor's are very expensive.

The financial counselor I'm speaking of is a hospital employee. It doesn't cost anything. That could be who you've talked to about your bills. Most hospitals have them.

Do those who are unable to work get disability and Medicare/Medicaid?

I'm 37 and I can never remember which one it is.

My memory isn't that great and this all went on about 10 years ago so I may be off on some of the details.

A form had to be filled out by the neuro. I can't remember if he gave me the form or told me where to get it. Ask him and he would know.

I believe I filled out most of the form. It had questions similar to:
Can I work and what is the reason if I can't work
If I'm on any meds
Can I drive
I know there were several more questions like this

My neuro had to fill out some of the form and state what I said was right.

As far as Ambulance and ER visits it varies for what insurance you are on. I know there was a fee for the Medicare/Medicaid but I don't remember what.

I use my husband's insurance for everything right now because it's much cheaper than the Medicare/Medicaid.

If the ambulance comes to the house without taking me to the ER it costs about $100. If I go to the ER (ambulance or not) it's a $35 fee. If I go to the ER (ambulance or not) and I'm admitted to the hospital there's no fee. He has great insurance.

What part of Canada are you in? It's my understanding different provinces in Canada have different methods of medical/health payment for doctor, hospitalization, and medication. Me, I am in Saskatchewan and I have heard that this is the best (? cheapest at least) of all provinces, but I would have to pay for ambulance if one picks me up, some issues with doctors and neurologists, and I do have to pay for medication.

I am a US citizen (California) who has been living here in Saskatchewan for 10 years. With any certainty here in Canada, I only know about Saskatchewan and hear from non-medical people about the other provinces.

Interested...

i'm interested too - what part? i'm thinking you're east?
in BC same as sask, we do pay for an ambulance ride, and they don't mess around here in regards to response time, always within minutes.
my t.c's were on average three minutes, and the one where i was driving, by the time a guy with a phone pulled over i was almost done shaking, came to about five mins later and was surrounded by police and a firetruck- all of who's stations are 15 minutes away. they booted up that hill so fast, so yeah no complaints here. the ambulance is 80 bucks, and health care costs are based on income.
any time in a hospital for whatever reasons and including any type of tests needed, from brain to colon, are free :)

Back
Top Bottom