do side effects diminish over time?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

marion

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hi everyone - I've been on lamictal for 2 1/2 months and having some side effects, including changes in my vision. It's difficut to see clearly at times, and I've noticed that my vision is blurry in one eye with my glasses, so I think I need new glasses. My question is, is it possible to predict if I can I expect my vision to change more with time? Or to get better as I get used to the lamictal? I don't want to get a new pair of glasses if things are still changing.

In general, can we expect side effects to diminish over time, as we get used to the drug? I've seen some mention of that here, but I don't know how common it is. Thanks. -marion

(((marion)))

It's a mixed bag really. Sometimes the side effects go away over time, and sometimes they even show up on a delayed basis. Also they can appear again if the med levels are changed or your body some how metabolizes them differently for whatever reason.

If you've had this side effect for 2.5 months I would imagine that it's likely there to stay unfortunately. I'd talk to your doctor about it and see what he wants to do.

Thanks for the reply darcness. No, I've only had this side effect for a short time. I noticed it before but it didn't bother me much and it was mostly when reading. Now reading is better (I don't use my glasses to read) but seeing distance with my glasses is blurry, especially in the one eye. It happened when my dosage increased. My doctor knows about it and he lowered my dose, which helped reading, but not the distance. I'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

Ahhh, the

eyes. Something I just went through. I am on FOUR types of E meds. And I had to recently go to the eye doctor. Note the key words in that sentence? HAD TO. When I went, he and I talked. He did tell me that the E meds are culprits for eyesight problems quite often.

While I'm not going blind or anything by any means, I'm now not allowed to drive anymore without glasses for the first time in my life. I can't see diddly out of my right eye without my glasses, and I was running into things, and weaving until I got them.

My daughter had vision issues with Tegretol. Neurologist said it wasn't related to the meds. What did I know? In addition her seizures were not controlled, so we opted to change meds. Weird seizures began with med #2 plus some psychological issues that were not acceptable (suicidal thoughts). Similar issues with med #3 and med #4. Different but unacceptable.

No meds, changes in nutrition, supplements for brain and body health, neurofeedback, side effects are ALL gone.... weight, acne, hair loss, etc
Slowly healing, and seizures are reduced from 6/mo -> only one in four months.

I had perfect vision (20-15 in both eyes, due to Lasik) before I went on Lamictal (one year ago). Almost right away after I went on it, I started experiencing blurry vision. Now I need to squint to see many things. I don't need to wear correction for driving...yet.

Back
Top Bottom