Do these reasons play a big role on why I have complex partials?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

fezman101

New
Reaction score
I would like to know please if taking your meds 2-3 hours late on some mornings/nights, not drinking the amount of water your doctor told you and having bad sleep patterens.

E.g 3am-7am then sleep again at 8am to 12pm. Sleep different times on different days.

Does this cause seizures. Mine are uncontrolled complex partials but I want to know if the way I'm living e.g late meds, sleeping patterns and not drinking the amount of water I'm suppose to.

Is this the reason for having complex partial seizures 1-2 times a week?

Not sure in your case, but it could. Easiest way to find out is to change your habits (better sleep, meds on time every day, no skipping meals, etc.) and see if it helps.

Please post if you make any changes and let me know what happens! I too have heck with take meds on time. I will get start on getting kids up and ready for school and forget to take my medicine.

Chelle, do you have a cell phone where you can set alarms? I have just a basic flip phone but it allows for up to 3 different alarm times. It goes off every time I am supposed to take meds. It is very annoying and hard to ignore. Easier to take the meds than listen to the alarm. The only med I don't need an alarm for is my thyroid med. When my bladder wakes me at 3 or 4am I take it and go back to bed. No worries about food or other meds interfering with it.

you definitely need to take your meds on time.
My seizures have changed quite a few times for know reason.MIne are also uncontrolled and I take my meds on time.The partials and tonic clonic.

Like Belinda, I have refractory E and have tried many meds, to no avail. I've had CP and TC seizures. My neuro always asks if I'm getting my sleep and to make sure I was taking my meds on time, gave me a weekly pill box. It is a one-day-at a time and has morning-noon-eve- and bedtime compartments. That way I can remember to take my meds with each meal and at bedtime. You should be able to find them at any pharmacy.

Also, try to reduce the stress and relax when you can.

There are a lot of things I let myself slip up on sometimes. I'll stay up late sometimes, overdo the coffee, sleep less, work too much *rarely*. But the one thing I do not do is skimp on my meds schedule. Which means I need to eat at the same times three times a day and keep my meds sorted in a weekly box. Your doctor can tell you how long the half life of your particular medications is. That will tell you how long you can go before you must take them. For me, with Neurontin, the half life is very short and I have to be rigid. If it were epilim, or one of the others with a long half life, I'd let myself take them a few hours later than usual sometimes. I hope, on the Neurontin, that I will get control, and then be able to go out at nights on occasion. While I'm still having seizures, I stay at home purely because Neurontin must go down at 19:30. The main thing is to maintain your meds levels throughout the day and night, and that depends on their half life. I ask my doctor how many hours late I can take my medication every time I change to something new. Often she says I have quite a number of hours leeway.

The easy way to answer this is to get yourself into a routine. Pills on a taken on a schedule that works with sleep patterns. Sleep patterns can vary some but it is best not to have a wide range of sleep times. It is all about seizure threshold management and without a consistent routine you are at risk. This does not mean you can't change the routine or push your limits but take care in changing a routine. Pushing limits is a big risk because we never know how far we can go until we cross the line. I learned that last one the hard way.

It can be different from person-to-person. I don't have problems when I take my medicine at a slightly different time. I can take mine with whatever. At night I'll take mine with beer. It makes no difference to me.
I do set alarms to make sure I take my medicine close to the same time, though.

Back
Top Bottom