Do They Only Do This For Kids?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JLogefeil

New
Reaction score
I have been interested in getting a seizure alert dog. We're could I get info on this? Do they only do that kind of thing kids or is it for adults too? Do you have a seizure alert dog and how has the dog helped you during a seizure?
Thank you

Paws for a cause is wat there called in u.s. And yes for adults still in process of mine and can be difficult.good luck!

I saw this thread, then I started wondering...does the UK do something like that, but with seizure alert cats? It may seem weird, but I'm not allowed to have a dog as a pet, but cats are allowed. I have a slight fear of cats, but if there are seizure alert cats in the UK, then I'm prepared to overcome my feline fear :) .

EDIT: Sorry if the concept if a seizure alert cat seems too ridiculous...

Last edited:
I went away once too a hotel just outside of blackpool, met a woman their who had her lil doggy with her, he was a seizure alert dog, but as at the time I was shamefully a bit ignorant too epilepsy I didn't find out the name of where she got it. I got a seizure alert cat but only because had him since the day he was born, and he just knows!!

Yes adults can also get them if possible.

But they are not really seizure alert dogs.

They are called seizure assist dogs.

These dogs are trained in a way similar to Seeing eye dogs. The dogs can help you with your daily activities. As you get to know each other the dogs learn your habits, daily routines, etc. They would sense if you are not well, and stay with you. If help is needed they are also trained to get help for you.
I myself would also like to get a seizure assist dog. But I have three problems that prevent me. The place I live doesn't allow "pets". (But that could be worked out.) My place is too small. I couldn't afford the dog with my current finances. :(

I don't know if there are seizure assist cats. It could be possibility. :)

When my grandmother was alive her cat would keep her great company. He knew when she needed to get up for her pills. He would know when she wasn't feeling to well and stay beside her. Unfortunately he died a couple weeks after she did. He must of died of a broken heart. :(

we had a guy come into our office with one

I really hope there is something like seizure assist cats in the UK. Also, I was wondering, are there any dogs that are trained to look out for absence seizures? I wonder if the training required for that would be too much. If it's not too much, then maybe there is something similar, but with cats? I have many questions to ask...:ponder: :)

Timmy doesn't really alert, he just meows stays with me then lies on me when im coming out, hes a sweet thing =]

An official seizure alert dog should be legally allowed to be anywhere where a normal dog isn't allowed. In my country seizure alert dogs are having the same 'rights' as helpdogs for blind and disabled people have. They are allowed in theme parcs, hotels, restaurants etc. And in homes with an owner who doesn't allow dogs too.

Back
Top Bottom