Do you feel "different" before a seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I'll have to check and see what brand of lavendar oil I have in my cupboard? Thanks!

I have no idea a seizure is coming until right before it takes over my body. Sometimes I am still conscious, other times I wake up and I'm told I have had a seizure.

The first sign for me is my eyes. I feel as though I'm looking at something and they don't want to look there. I have grande mal seizures and my eyes with flutter before hand. When it is starting I feel as though I am about to do a backwards flip even though I don't want to. All I see is ceiling, ceiling, ceiling. About %80 of my seizures have taken place in the shower. Why do you think that is?

It's scary to not be in control of your own body. Afterwards my head usually hurts, I imagine partially from a headache, and partially from hitting my head when I go down. I feel like I can't breath and my memory of the entire day is lost. Whoever is around has to explain the day to me, and it seems like a dream. I regain it as the rest of the day goes on, but at that time I'm completely irrational when I realize I don't' remember. I think that I will forever be in and out of memory. I keep panicking because it's hard for me to breath as well. I cry because I am overwhelmed, I feel indescribably out of place. I often believe I was somewhere else. I have had a recurring dream-atleast I think it's a dream while I'm having a seizure. Atleast I think it's during, maybe it's after, right before I wake up- that I'm upstairs somewhere. I have been sleeping on the floor with my ex boyfriend from highschool. There's wooden walls and wooden floors much like a cabin.

Does anybody else have a dream they remember after a seizure?

Does anybody feel their eyes rolling in the back of their head?

I've been getting some common symptoms for years and I have learned to control the seizures quite recently. How I do this is by not going to sleep when I feel the symptoms. The main symptom is the headache. It is usually located on the top of my head. The headache usually travels to different points in my head and when it makes its way to the back of my head/neck area and I feel a sort of pulsating action, I know the worst is over.
This helps me a good bit too, actually walking off a seizure. I suggest you bring a spotter though, someone capable of catching you if you fall. Also talking when I have these headaches is a great help so talk and walk to help get rid of it.

Anyway back to some more symptoms that I suffer with. Sometimes I just stare into space and haven't got a single thought in my head. It's not the worst of the symptoms, it is a warning for others around me now cos they know to look out for it.
If I close my eyes I see flashing lights, like a strobe light.
Sometimes my vision flickers. It is as if I blinked without moving my eyelids.
If I get de ja vu that something I thought had happened and it only happened now, that is usually a guaranteed sign of a seizure for me.

It's not very often that I know I'm going to have a seizure.Sometime I might have a headache before my seizure, or I just might get a sensation in my head that I'm going to have a seizure.

Why docs insist on pressing me for what's the sensation is like I'll never know especially when I tell them I can't describe it.

Belinda:twocents:

When I had my Grand Mal, over 2 years ago, I didn't feel different and didn't know I had one until the ER doctor told me. One minute I was shopping, next I woke up in an ambulance. My favorite Neurologist told me it was the bleed that caused the seizure but we don't know what caused the bleed.

Long before that though, probably about 4 years before the seizure, I was in Walmart and felt like everything around me was fading and I felt faint. It only lasted a few seconds but it was strange. That could have been a sign of a seizure but that hasn't happened since, not to that extent anyway.

Back
Top Bottom