Do you have to Explain yourself to Supermakerts(they think you're suspicious)?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Some people are never going to take the time to listen or understand. Don't let them bother you and don't feel like you can't go back there.

If you need to have the bag, then I recommend getting one of those re-usable kinds. Many stores sell them to save-the-environment from plastic bags. Once you have one, you can bring it with you each time you go to a store.

You should always use a cart as everyone can see what you are doing and getting. I've ended up with just a couple items in a big cart before. I don't understand what a big deal it is to you. Just act like everyone else and do whats appropriate.

Some people are never going to take the time to listen or understand. Don't let them bother you and don't feel like you can't go back there.

If you need to have the bag, then I recommend getting one of those re-usable kinds. Many stores sell them to save-the-environment from plastic bags. Once you have one, you can bring it with you each time you go to a store.

Its not exceptable in any retail/grocery store to use bags. You can take your environmental/cloth bags with you but they have to fill them at the counter. Prevents shoplifting.

Its not exceptable in any retail/grocery store to use bags. You can take your environmental/cloth bags with you but they have to fill them at the counter. Prevents shoplifting.

Weird, maybe I've been living here so long the locals know me. No one has ever questioned me when I filled the bag and brought it to check out.

Niceguy, don't take my suggestion. If you can't use a cart maybe ask the manager if you can bring your own clear/recycle bag. I don't have that same type of seizure so not sure what risk the cart is.

I'm curious but over in America do supermarkets/shops have shopping baskets for customers to use.

Over here in Australia we have shopping baskets available at supermarkets & shops like Kmart/Target.
We have 2 different types of the baskets, 1 you carry, the other you can pull along

I find the baskets handy because I usually just call in there on my way home from work or the weekend to grab a few things so it's easier for me to just put what I need in a basket instead of getting a supermarket trolley.

I also use the recycable bags alot which you can pick up cheap at the supermarket because I walk every where & the plastic bags aren't that strong.

I like the pull along one. I would use one to get packages home if I had one. I should check into buying one. Taking them home now means I have to walk back and forth to the market a couple times because things are to heavy to carry all at once. We do have baskets that you can carry in stores like the one you posted. Never thought about him using one like that.

thanks for your answers. and about those baskets. I don't use them because i have movement disorder and i can hurt people badly

Last edited:
I'm curious but over in America do supermarkets/shops have shopping baskets for customers to use.

Over here in Australia we have shopping baskets available at supermarkets & shops like Kmart/Target.
We have 2 different types of the baskets, 1 you carry, the other you can pull along

I find the baskets handy because I usually just call in there on my way home from work or the weekend to grab a few things so it's easier for me to just put what I need in a basket instead of getting a supermarket trolley.

I also use the recycable bags alot which you can pick up cheap at the supermarket because I walk every where & the plastic bags aren't that strong.

We have these in Canada, too. Cities as well as small towns.

I work retail, and we prefer our customers use the carts or baskets, even carry it if it's just a few versus people stuffing their own bags because it does look suspicious and there are a lot of people who shoplift, u can't really tell unless u watch the person check out when they stuff their own bags. it's kinda a respect thing. it's money out of our pockets for everyone who shoplifts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the pull along one. I would use one to get packages home if I had one. I should check into buying one. Taking them home now means I have to walk back and forth to the market a couple times because things are to heavy to carry all at once. We do have baskets that you can carry in stores like the one you posted. Never thought about him using one like that.

My parents take me shopping once a fortnight so I get my main groceries but I still often call into the shops to get smaller things if I run out of something.

My Mum has arthritis in her legs so has trouble walking, when she goes into the supermarkets she pushes a shopping trolley even or uses a wheelie walker.
She recently got a basket from ALDI which looks alot like a supermarket basket which she can put on the seat of her wheelie walker when she goes into the supermarket. It is much easier for her to put the items back into her basket once they've been bagged & paid for.

We also have a shopping trolley which some people who have to walk use to put their bags in after they've been shopping.

thanks for your answers. and about those baskets. I don't use them because i have movement disorder and i can hurt people badly

Why don't you just keep a safe distance with a basket so that you don't hurt people?

Do you use the same supermarket? I would expect over time, the employees would get to know who you are. I knew my customers while I worked at one.

I really think you're worrying too much. Choose your shopping times carefully so you're not there when it is crowded, and use a cart rather than basket as it may help you steady yourself and give you something to hold onto. Who cares if you're only getting a few items - do you really think people are going to laugh and call you a wimp? No, you're the one doing it to yourself; for all anyone knows you're recovering from surgery, or had a broken arm recently, have MS and it helps you with walking, etc. And if you are still hung up about it, many cities have online grocery shopping, some communities big and small have "personal shoppers" who will do your grocery shopping for you, and of course you can ask family and friends to let you know when they are going shopping and have them pick up a few items for you.

In New York you'll find these shopping carts and many variations.

"The Standard Cart" - found in most stores, comes in various sizes (depends on store), also is made in metal, plastic, or both.
"The Mini Cart" - found in some grocery stores.
"The Kiddiecart" - found in grocery stores, in various designs.
"The Electric Cart" found in many grocery & department stores.
"The Wheelchair Shopping cart" found in many grocery stores.
"The Hand Basket" found in stores everywhere, in various designs, sizes.
"The Folding Cart" Available for people to purchase in various
sizes, designs.

I typically use "The Standard Cart" while I do most of my shopping. But when I just need a
couple things I try to use a "The Mini Cart" if available. I rarely use "The Hand Basket"
because I hate having to carry it all over the store(s). There are times when I go shopping
I bring a "The Folding Cart" to bring my purchase home.

I never used "The Electric Cart" or "The Wheelchair Shopping cart" yet. But after my surgery I will probably be using them when I go for a while.

I've had a few times when shopping I'd have a seizure. During my seizure I'd let my cart go. If I was looking at an item, no problem. But there were times when I was pushing the cart and the cart would go rolling off. The good thing is I don't go shopping alone. :)

FYI: If you feel you need to use a cart while shopping, use one. It's nobodies business but your own. You can bring your own shopping bags, basket to bring your purchase home. If the store clerks / baggers are anything like they are here, you'll be rebagging.

A good thing to do while grocery shopping is to separate your items before checkout.
Best way to sort items, and order to put them on checkout.

"Heavy Drink items": juices, soda, milk, etc
"Heavy Canned & boxed items": Canned goods, rice, pasta, cereal, etc
"Meats, Deli, seafood items": hamburger, chicken, lunch meat, fresh fish, etc
"Personal items": various
"Break/Smashable items": Eggs, breads, candy

This will at least have your items ready to be bagged. Tell them how you want them bagged. You're gonna be rebagging everything anyways to put it in your own reusable
bags. Been doing this over twenty years (I've been on both sides of the name plate). :)

Back
Top Bottom