Do you think Keppra or another medical issue causes my fatigue and leg weakness?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mike758

New
Reaction score
I had two grand mal seizures last year in September following about a year of partial seizures which I didn't know were seizures at the time. Right now I'm taking 2500 mg of Keppra a day, and the Keppra has worked well with preventing seizures. I started out on only 500 a day, but increase if I have any issues with partial seizures.

Anyway, I've been having issues with extreme fatigue, weakness in legs, and periodic ringing in ears. The weakness in legs doesn't significantly impact the way I walk, but it does make it harder, and in my senior year of track I ran a second slower in the 100 than usual and the coach noticed I was running significantly off balance. With the fatique, I'm usually really tired after noon. This again doesn't prevent my daily functions, but it makes things harder.

I'm seeing a epilepsy specific neurologist who can answer this, but I want to see what people here think. I fear I may have MS, but my current neurologist says I would have had lesions on my MRI if I did. I think this because extreme fatique and weakness and legs are the most common MS symptoms, and seizures are an uncommon but possible symptom. Keppra also has these side effects, but I don't know the extremities or how common they are. The weakness in legs started after being in meds, but I've had issues with fatigue prior, although not as extreme.

I'd ask for blood work--get a range on electrolytes and minerals, including B vitamins, liver function, etc. It could be side effects of Keppra but a lot of med side effects simply boil down to one imbalance or another caused by the med. Keppra can cause muscle fatique but imbalance etc should be looked into. Keppra can cause deficiency in the B vitamins and a few others, but before you start supplementing you would want a baseline (you can get toxic on too much B6).

Doctor increased my dosage back in August and only now am I able to "function." Felt like I was on high or on drugs (excluding Keppra) in September especially when I was busy

They are making me take 2000 mg a day

Also I asked for a blood test, got the paper but then I found out the blood test clinics closet to me didn't even know what Keppra (or it's other name) was... So I need to drive or bus to some specialized clinic for the blood work.

Last edited:
Look at what they ordered--they may have just ordered a Keppra level, I'd check to see if they ordered additional blood tests. It's worth your while to pursue this--your dose doesnt say much at all. I'm on 2000 myself, I'm 5'5' and fairly lightweight. However, I could have a way higher or lower blood level of keppra than you do on the same dose, depending on how I metabolize the drug. If your blood level is too high, you could have worse side effects. Or, if you are very deficient in electrolyte or mineral, it could cause fatigue. I'd look at the lab order and see what they ordered, and take the time to get the blood work done. I also got muscle fatigue while increasing Keppra, but I also had electrolyte and mineral imbalances at the same time from topamax so I couldn't say which was to blame. I'm coming off topamax, verrry slowly, and the fatigue is going away. I don't really have side effects from Keppra now that I've been on it a while. Everyone is different in how they respond to meds.

Keppra had effected my balance and leaves me tired. I do not have anyissues with strength. The problems you are having can certainly be related. I'm on 4000 mg/day.

When I was on Keppra, I noticed reduced strength at only 1500 mg. I work out a lot so this was quite noticeable to me. Not only did my strength decrease, but also my stamina during a work-out was lower. Other reasons were responsible for my coming off Keppra, however, but once I was off of it my strength noticeably improved.

Thanks for the advice so far. I will definetely ask to be checked for deficiencies like some of you recommended. I sort of waited to see if these symptoms would get better, but they never did. Like I said I still live a normal life with them, but as you can figure, it's very annoying and somewhat worrisome

When I was on Keppra (500 mg) the same thing happened to me, but I lost a lot of strength as well. It was a devil of a medication for me.

I only take a 1000 mgs a day, but I feel like Keppra does make me fatigued and weaker. Sometimes I go to the gym and just dont think I can do the weight, but then I try and I can do it. So it seems like it is just how it is making me feel rather than what is actually occuring (in terms of making me weaker).

Each person is different and it will be hard to know for sure, but Keppra can definitely be the cause.

I've stayed on it for 3 years now, and I find if I keep working out hard, even if I dont want to, that it helps things overall. If I stop for a few days or a week the fatigue really sets in. I do think mine is keppra related and it is one of the reasons I have considered switching.

Are you taking any b vitamins? Keppra can deplete those and they can help with energy I'm told.

Back
Top Bottom